1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A strike question....about work for the kids.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pastychucker, Nov 16, 2011.

1. I am striking - assuming that the strike goes ahead. It is likely that my class will be covered. Am I obliged to provide work for the kids?

2. I am striking - assuming that the strike goes ahead. It is likely that my class will be covered. Am I obliged to provide work for the kids?

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

No.

Who will be covering a striking colleague? Every union / professional association says NO to this!

4. Some of the TAs are not in a Union - they will be in work.

5. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I'm sure someone else knows more than I do, but I thought that no-one is allowed to cover for a striking member of staff.
    Does that rule only apply to union members?

6. eh?
    Are you suggesting if someone is on strike, then somone else is not allowed to do their work? What a load of nonsense. Did no-one think to tell the miners that nugget?
    Of course other people can stand in, and they could potentially be paid overtime for it too.

7. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

When the strike happened on 30th June in a work force of over 50, think 6 people were NUT and went on strike. Our head closed the school as he said he could not get supply to cover and any other staff couldn't cover as this would go against union rules. I don't know whether anyone else can verify this?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

NUT member and supply teacher - well never got asked to vote but would still not cover for striking teacher.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

No, but I assume any cover will be done by non-union members.

10. I can't believe the interpretation of this comment. The rules governing covering striking employees are not the Unions rules, they are laws and regulations around employment. If the HT wants to get in a bunch of parents, all checked obviously, to deliver a days schooling, then he can. There is nothing the union can do to stop him.
    I can't believe any of you think the union can do anything to stop it.

11. lilachardy

It's incredibly bad form to cover for someone who is striking - be they a teacher or a miner!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The use of scab labour caused bitterness that had repurcussions for years afterwards,
    Union advice to members of unions not participating in official strike action is that you do not cover for striking colleagues.

13. You should not cover for striking colleagues. Your own union will have advice on this. You should not set work for classes if you are striking.

14. Oooh, I like it. Nothing like a bit of emotive language.
    How are the members on here who are striking going to deal with the scabs after the 30th? Burn out their cars, slash their tyres? Let's hope none of the strikers have an accident on the 30th though, while they are doing a bit of brazier poking, because it would surely test their solidarity with their fellow workers when they get to casualty and find the nurses on a picket line eh?
    Really!? Didn't the unions advise that everyone should carry on as normally as possible to minimise the inconvenience?

15. lilachardy

Carry on <u>as normal</u> - that involves covering illness but not striking colleagues.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

No.
    Union advice to members of unions not participating in official strike action is that you do not provide cover for striking colleagues. (although that could be described as carrying on as normal - providing cover for striking colleagues is NOT carrying on as normal)
    Any member of a union not participating in an official strike who is being pressured into providing cover should contact their own union as this is not acceptable. Local Authorities are aware of this and would not support HTs who attempt to put non participating union members in this position.

17. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

That just about sums it up. Would you really be happy if there was no one to treat you if you were suffering from a head injury/burns/whatever because their principles wouldn't allow them to cross the picket line? Would you be happy to see animals left unfed/unmilked because their normal carers were withdrawing their labour that day. Not that they ever would.
    It has always seemed to me that the type of job that people can withdraw their labour for a period of time, cannot, in the greater scheme of things, be that important. During the 3 day week in the 1970's we were educated at home by candle light but when my sister had an emergency operation to remove her appendix, thank god the surgeons were not on strike.

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You are absolutly right. The head teacher can get in scab labour for the day if they want!

However a union member whose union is not on strike can refuse to cover the work of a striker ans the union will protect them against any retribution or sanction from the HT.

Non-unionised labour is free to choose to cover the class of a striker. Union members in their final year of employment are not required to strike but will still not cover for strikers. Union members who are employed as supply are not required to strike and can work the day covering for stikers (I believe).

I think it would be great for some of the parents of our kids to spend a day in the classroom with their offspring. However they won't get work set by striking teachers.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yes they did. They advised that if you were not on strike then you did your job exactly as you would have done if there was no strike. Doing your job does not include doing someone elses job.

20. Don't set work if your class is still going to be in school.
    Don't set work for the pupils to do in lieu of a lesson.
    Don't mark or comment on any work which a child does to mitigate the effect of you being on strike.
    Don't run extra lessons to make up for the work they missed.
    You are having a day off for which you will not get paid and you will lose a day off your pension entitlement.
    Simples. [​IMG]
    (You might need to do 100 days work in 99 days)
    (In the last big strike [1265 day contract] we were off for 10 days, I think: the Y11s got their best ever results because they realised THEY had to do the work.)