1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A strange question about a long, hard pole.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by hardbastard, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Right. Here is a question for you all. I own a flat. Inside this flat are three built-in wardrobes. The flat is ex-council, you see. A bit *** if I'm honest. But there you go. Anyway, inside one of the wardrobes, I've discovered that it takes me through into this weird, snow-covered land call Narnia, and last week I met a lion in there called Aslan who asked to me to kill this weird witch called.... Ok, not really. Back to my wardrobes. They?re each about two meters wide. Two of the three have a rail on each. They?re to hang clothes on. Above each rail is some shelving. Nice. Anyway, the rails/poles attach to each wall via a simple grip that?s screwed in. Easy. They?re similar, in some ways, to a curtain rail, I suppose. A round, silver pole, about the same thickness as a sausage. A thin sausage.

Where, however, can I buy one that will fix into cupboard three? Please help. It should ideally be adjustable so it will fit to the exact size of the walls. Help. I went to Homebase today but they had f?k-all and it?s doing my head in. There?s a prize (a large Cornish pasty) going to the person who provides the best answer. With supporting evidence.

I love you all. Peace.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My hubbie reckons that you can get them in B&Q - not that we have to. He makes furniture for a living so can get whatever we need.
    I've just had a look on B&Q online - search for "wardrobe rails". Mr BS says there are loads on Ebay too.

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

buy a bit of wooden dowel (like a thiner version of a broom handle) and some U shaped metal brackets,

cut to size job done

4. Google is your friend:[​IMG]

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9616930&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372014}/categories%3C{9372036}/categories%3C{9372142}/specificationsProductType=wardrobe_interiors___accessories/specificationsSpecificProductType=double_width_interior_storage&tmcampid=4&tmad=c&ecamp=cse_go&CAWELAID=267013786

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FMK-Wardrobe-hanging-rail-set/dp/B002EIEUZM

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-8220.aspx

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Go back to the DIY store, preferably not Homebase as they rip you off, buy a length of wooden dowell of the diameter you require. Saw it to the length you need.
    Go back to the shop and get another because you misread the tape measure when you sawed it.
    Repeat until sorted.

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

no more nails a wee extension onto the bit you cut short!

7. Modelmaker, you forgot to mention having to buy a new wardrobe when all the holes that have been made fitting the pole cause it to fall apart!

8. B&Q deffo.

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Try Greggs, see if they have a proper snack rail in laminated choux.

10. Where do you live? I could come shopping with you (B&Q would be the best place to start) and then you could buy me a vegetarian pasty as a reward. I am sure that you will have other DIY challenges I can help you with. I like falafels with tabouleh salad and houmous in pitta bread as well. I also like masala dosa. I wouldn't turn my nose up at a pub lunch. Tapas are nice too.
    Peace and love.