1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A strange 'interview'...

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by discojen, May 20, 2007.

1. Hi all

Went to an interview for an art job the other day. There were four candidates including myself. We were given a breakdown of the day's activities when we got there; basically, lesson obs, tour, look at portfolios, then interviews.

We did our lessons, tours, showed our portfolios, and then we were told to sit in the staff room while they worked out who was going to be interviewed first / second etc. We were just left in the staff room for ages longer than they said, then one of the interview panel came up, took three of us downstairs and said we were unsuccessful and could go home. They would not tell us why we were unsuccessful as 'they had another candidate to interview', but we could phone up and ask later.

Has that happened to anyone else, where they have gone to an interview and not actually been interviewed?? I found it all a bit unprofessional. Interestingly, the remaining candidate was still a student teacher. I reckon the school had gone for the cheapest option, as the rest of us (candidates) had far more experience. A colleague where I am working at the moment said I should write a letter to the Governors of the school stating my unhappiness with the interview process. Would I just be wasting my time writing such a letter or should I make my point?

Any advice gratefully received!

2. Hi all

Went to an interview for an art job the other day. There were four candidates including myself. We were given a breakdown of the day's activities when we got there; basically, lesson obs, tour, look at portfolios, then interviews.

We did our lessons, tours, showed our portfolios, and then we were told to sit in the staff room while they worked out who was going to be interviewed first / second etc. We were just left in the staff room for ages longer than they said, then one of the interview panel came up, took three of us downstairs and said we were unsuccessful and could go home. They would not tell us why we were unsuccessful as 'they had another candidate to interview', but we could phone up and ask later.

Has that happened to anyone else, where they have gone to an interview and not actually been interviewed?? I found it all a bit unprofessional. Interestingly, the remaining candidate was still a student teacher. I reckon the school had gone for the cheapest option, as the rest of us (candidates) had far more experience. A colleague where I am working at the moment said I should write a letter to the Governors of the school stating my unhappiness with the interview process. Would I just be wasting my time writing such a letter or should I make my point?

Any advice gratefully received!

3. Did the successful candidate mention what school they were placed at??? Sadly I don't think this is that uncommon, especially if an internal candidate has applied for the post.

4. Yeah, I recently went for an interview where they sent half of the candidates home after the lesson. It deprives people of interview experience. Also, a person could have been really nervous at the start of the day during the lesson, and they could have become more comfortable and "themselves" by the interview where they could turn things around. I reckon most of the time interviewers know who they are going to take on and it saves them time. I didnt even get any feedback after my last interview. They actually offered for us to go home straight after we had been interviewed instead of waiting for the last person to come out (Who ironically, was the person that got the job). What a setup!

5. I thought this was becoming standard practice now...teaching and possible a task in the morning- then only the strongest candidates kept for interview in the afternoon...mind you, they should have told you in advance that this was their plan.

6. paintbrush

paintbrush New commenter

is it time to name and shame these schools????

7. I am actually keeping a list and will not have anything to do with them. I find it unprofessional that they do not even give a response. I have spoken with my MP who stated they had no idea such a practice was going on. No other employer would do wht many schools do.

8. paintbrush

paintbrush New commenter

but what are you going to do with the list darkness?

9. My school did that when I applied for the job, three our of eight went through to intervew for 2 jobs. I can see how I might have been miffed if I'd been sent home, but then if they didn't like what they saw when they saw them teach then it is pointless interviewing them surely? Not saying that everyone who doesn't get an interview did a **** lesson though...

10. Hi I have just read the posting on this forum..and I have to say this exactly happened to me yesterday. I went for an interview where there were five other candidates. We were given the tour etc than after our lesson observation and portfolio review, were left waiting for the next bit...interview with the headteacher. The head came through and ask two candidates to leave the room and which point the four of us left were basically told to go home. We were offered feedback which we all took, but the two candidates chosen were of a similar age (the rest of us were older). I was feeling pretty ****** off as i have never been through this process before. feel disheartened!

11. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Not necessarily going through to interview is the norm at our place - but this is clearly explained in the morning. The tour and lesson happen first, we never take anyone through to interview with less than a '2' in their lesson anyway, but decide who to take through to the afternoon. Candidates are given immediate feedback.
    I'd just vent at colleagues, friends and family for a couple of days. A letter to Governors isn't going to resolve anything and they'll probably just view it as you being bitter about not getting the job. Doesn't sound like it was clearly explained in the morning to candidates, but think this process is a common one.
    Things happen for a reason. It wasn't the one for you and things will look better in a few days :)

12. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

OOPs- just realised I'm replying to the first poster who started this thread in 2007 - think my advice might be a bit late!!...

13. Thats ok...I am feeling much happier now as there are three local jobs to apply for and the feedback received was very helpful (Portfolio needs work) so feeling more positive now!

14. Hi there...Its awful isn't it...I totally agree you don't get a chance to explain, but also how well you could improve.

I live in Somerset...but those said three jobs..well one I definitely didn't get an interview for and the other two, still waiting on replieds but time is ticking!

What is your situation?

15. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

'Outstanding' schools certainly won't consider a 'bad' interview lesson or a weak portfolio.
    I can see where you're coming from, but I don't think an interview is a forum to make excuses.
    I certainly wouldn't be after a member of staff who was just very good at "talking the talk" in a letter and interview - I want to SEE it all in action. Sorry - can't agree that not interviewing is