1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A story to cheer you all up :)

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by VelvetChalk, Jul 19, 2012.

1. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Had a chat with a fellow supply teacher friend who I havent seen in a while..

She covered a year 2 class at school A about a month ago, and got there as fast as she could as she was called at 8.40, upon arriving at 9.05 the office manager told her that 'supplies usually arrive quicker than you' then abruptly showed her to her class. day went well, lovely class etc etc. She got home and got the dreaded 'school do not want you back as you can't arrive before children'. A pathetic excuse indeed but my friend carried on supplying elsewhere. She then had a day supervising a class from school B at a sports event with many schools and got chatting to teachers at lunch.

The teacher she was chatting with was the deputy head from school A who taught the year 2 class she had covered. Upon learning this my friend said how nice it had been as they were a lovely class. Deputy said that the work she had done with class was a high standard and was she booked to cover her again next week. My friend professionally explained why not to which the deputy assured her that the school wanted her and seemed shocked that shed been blacklisted.

My friend has had a few days at School A recently ( different classes and that year 2 class) and has the pleasure of proudly walking past the office manager each time she is in.

Goes to show some people on schools are nasty pasties, even when you have been an amazing teacher

2. VelvetChalk

Had a chat with a fellow supply teacher friend who I havent seen in a while..

She covered a year 2 class at school A about a month ago, and got there as fast as she could as she was called at 8.40, upon arriving at 9.05 the office manager told her that 'supplies usually arrive quicker than you' then abruptly showed her to her class. day went well, lovely class etc etc. She got home and got the dreaded 'school do not want you back as you can't arrive before children'. A pathetic excuse indeed but my friend carried on supplying elsewhere. She then had a day supervising a class from school B at a sports event with many schools and got chatting to teachers at lunch.

The teacher she was chatting with was the deputy head from school A who taught the year 2 class she had covered. Upon learning this my friend said how nice it had been as they were a lovely class. Deputy said that the work she had done with class was a high standard and was she booked to cover her again next week. My friend professionally explained why not to which the deputy assured her that the school wanted her and seemed shocked that shed been blacklisted.

My friend has had a few days at School A recently ( different classes and that year 2 class) and has the pleasure of proudly walking past the office manager each time she is in.

Goes to show some people on schools are nasty pasties, even when you have been an amazing teacher

3. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

Had a really busy day at work yesterday, got home and went straight to bed after a long soak. Now paying the price and cannot sleep another minute. Glad the school I am at today has a fun day planned...
    Well done to your friend. This reminds me of a time when I was in a school and a TA came to the office as I was leaving and told the office manager not to book the teacher who was in her class again. The office manager simply said ok and did not even ask why that particular teacher should be blacklisted!

4. Years ago my HT told secretary not to rebook supply teacher as she had seen her bra strap and it was a little off white (obviously a cleanliness issue, HT used something called ACE to clean hers), this is true and shows how stupid it can get. Oncemore I question calibre of individuals in these jobs and who put them there!

5. VelvetChalk

My friend is keeping her eyes peeled for a job there next year if she has already impressed the deputy head. Its really nice to know that there are some school staff that really appreciate supplies. I am glad I have got a permanent job next year and will be lovely to any supply I meet. :)

Btw, this rather positive thread has been given one star by some poster called Bronco without her even posting, how odd/pointless.

6. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

Wow such a positive story. I was supplying last school year and I wondered why I had the occasional "they don't want you back" call when I thought that the day had gone quite well. Just goes to show that sometimes you really can't do anything. Congratulations to your friend!

7. I have tried to p the stars a little.. possibly it was a mistake. I love the bra strap story. I defo would not be rebooked.