1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A stitch in time saves six

Discussion in 'Personal' started by S1a3t5u7r9n, Sep 23, 2020.

1. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n Established commenter

Please don’t try to stitch your bubbles
    Remember Stay Alert
    World Beating Test and Trace apparently
    Please use your common sense
    Go Grouse Shooting

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-54262657

"At 20:04 BST, right after the PM told us: "We must take action now because a stitch in time saves nine", Google saw a spike in people searching for the meaning of the phrase."

Unbelieveable. Is education really this poor nowadays?

jellycowfish, bombaysapphire and WB like this.
  3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I imagine it wouldn't occur to most younger people now that they could repair clothes. "Father McKenzie darning his socks in the night" must be a mystery to the younger generation.

4. WB

WB Star commenter

Or any one of the many, many other pastimes that were on the list that some poster seem to ignore.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I grouse about this government all the time.

SeanbheanMac and ajrowing like this.
  6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

No but the internet is. Questions like that are made up by some sites and media organisations with links posted to websites and social media. Further distribution by bots and content scrapers. Anyone hitting a link can be counted as 'searching'.

7. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

I must say I am pleased that you have posted this as there is an absence of threads on coronavirus on here at present. Perhaps you could start a thread on Brexit soon too?

stopwatch likes this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's figurative language.It's not about education, it's about convention.
    90% of the language used on his speech yesterday was antiquated,elitist, condescending, frumpy, gung ho, patronising and toffee nosed.
    Who even says "alas" in the middle of a multi-claused sentence designed to explain a national crisis? Like some sort of children's book based Pantomime solo. Or a self inflated over dressed bar fly who genuinely doesn't realise the more guff he spouts, the less he interests anybody.
    Know your audience, stupid man.

Edit-oops, I refer to BJ not OP.
    Or "I have perchance possibly in the spirit of resolve to draw attention to....alas....a very very very bad man....also diverted this attention to one who we must confess is...er... far ...er...less.... deserving of this publicised outbreak of scorn, so please, I am sure your sense of community and togetherness in this will...er... carry us all together over the ambiguity once and for all"

cassandramark2 and ajrowing like this.
  9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

You might be surprised. Sewing is ‘in’ these days. My daughter makes her own clothes - sewing and knitting. They look professionally made. She also buys clothes at the charity shop and alters them to fit where necessary. She has skills I have never managed to muster. I am seriously impressed.

ajrowing likes this.
  10. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

There wasn't a lack of alasses in PMQs today. It's almost as though he learned a new word.

ajrowing likes this.
  11. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n Established commenter

Hands face space and alas