1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Milgod, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Howdy do,
    Just wondering if there were any fans of the Song of ice and fire series of books?
    How do you think the Game of Thrones TV show did?
    Favourite characters?
    Hopes for the future? (Although I guess it would be best not to post too much here for fear of spoilers).

For me, they are the best series of books ever written.

2. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Hi, Ioved the first few, although it did go downhill for me when Ned Stark was executed, it has set a precedent for good characters being killed off. I haven't read the latest but had grown a bit weary of none of the heroes ever getting a break, and people quite meeting up but never quite making it. Although i know this is a feature of this kind of fantasy, we need some kinds of relief! Also becomming a bit predictable about people you think are dead returning...Caitlan, Shaso etc. Was bored by the saga of Brianne in the last book and skipped a lot of it, she was only interesting as an aid to developing Jamie lannister's character.
    In all, although i think some parts are brilliant, the wall of ice, the intrigue, the dragons...I think i am becomming used to being unsatisfied by what happens to many characters. Such as the new story line with Aria...
    The dwarf is the best character, being the only one who appears to have a sense of humour and honour. I quite fancy Jon Snow as well, ha.

On a separate note, the best fantasy books i have read recently were Joe Abercrombie's, 'The blade itself'. Much more complex characters, witty dialogue, great stories and gripping action. Highly recommend these as an annecdote to unsatisfying Game of Thrones saga.
    http://www.joeabercrombie.com/books/
    Even George himself says
    '
    <hr />

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I haven't read them yet, but have some on my Amazon wish list. They look very good.

Although in term of complex characters I don't see how you could be more complex than in Ice and Fire. There are very very few (if any) characters that are easy to read.

I to wish that some of the main 'heroes' would catch a break every now and again, but I am holding out hope that it will sort work out in the end. Two more books to go according to Martin. My favourite thing about the books is the World Martin has created, it seems so real yet so fantasy at the same time.

I also love the fact it has so many '***!' moments. The Stark family usually being on the end of them.

Arya and Jaime are my favourite characters. Lots of people don't get on with the Brienne storyline. I guess I can see why, but she another one of those that I just hope it will all work out for eventually.

4. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Apologies for spelling most of the characters names wrong, ha!.
    I think most of the characters in it are quite straightforward 'good' i.e. honourable, loving to family and friends, loyal, selfless etc. Or 'bad', exactly the opposite.
    The only exceptions really being Jaime L who is becoming a very interesting character, and the dwarf who i think is the best character. So very disappointed with last book split, not a good idea at all i think.
    It is complex in that there are hundreds of characters to remember.
    (In the other series i talked about the characters are all murderers, thieves, assassins and torturers, yet they are more complex as these are still your heroes because of the skill of the author, and despite their obvious flaws).

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Just picked up Game of Thrones from the library, looking forward to finishing my current read and getting stuck in. It's a weighty tome, isn't it? Certainly chunkier than I'd usually tackle during term time, but a quick flick suggests that it's fairly easy reading.

6. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I have just collected volume 5 - A Dance with Dragons - from the library. it is the most enormous fiction book i have ever seen. Going to be a challenge taking it to work in the handbag and reading it in bed particularly as i am used to reading on the Kindle normally nowadays. Looking forward to it tho.

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

thanks for that - I shall give them a go -

I also found ice and fire a bit dour.