1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones)

Discussion in 'Book club' started by rayondesoleil1976, Jun 24, 2013.

1. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

Hi,

I'm wondering if I should take advantage of the fantastic offers that are on at the minute and buy the entire series of novels. (Either for Kindle or real books!) I have not watched the series as I don't have Sky and I have not thought to buy the DVD box sets.

Has anyone else read the books? Are they well written? Are the stories any good? I'm quite interested because my friend raves about the TV series.

Thanks!

2. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

Depends - what sort of books do you like normally? I have mixed feeling about the genre, there are some brilliant books but an awful lot of rubbish as well. A Song of Ice & Fire are at the better end, but there are other better fantasy series out there (anything by Brandon Sanderson or Patrick Rothfuss, for starters). Before I read A Song of Ice & Fire, my boyfriend summed it up with "don't get too attached to any of the characters. They'll probably die horribly." I watched the first series on TV, loved it and bought the first book, loved that as well, bought the rest of them and chain read them one after another. By the 4th book I'd lost the will to live and had forgotten who half the characters were, what they were doing and what had already happened to them. I think I'd have appreciated them a lot more if I'd had a break between books so I'd advise getting the first book and seeing how you get on with it, and not trying to read the whole lot in one go!

A summary of good & bad points to George RR Martin - I'll let you decide which are which!

- huge epic plotlines

- action, adventure, romance, comedy interludes, sad bits, shocking bits, creepy bits

- politics, religion, social issues

- loads of characters, many of whom are quite interesting and unusual

- you care about most of the characters

- then he abruptly kills them off in a startlingly violent manner

- then he randomly brings some of them back

- lots of fairly graphically described violence/death/rape/sex

- much time spent with characters endlessly nambling about trying to get from one place to another and doing a very poor job of it

- dragons