1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"A Snotty Islington Weirdo..."

Discussion in 'Personal' started by artboyusa, Dec 14, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The hypocrisy is so blatant isn't it? Not even hiding it anymore...

Kandahar likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Against gerrymandering... For changing the electoral system purely to achieve power.

Hypocrisy sum up in one post.

3. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

I agree but I am not arguing for either economic equality or ludicrously high rates of tax for the most affluent in our society.

I am arguing against excessive economic inequality.

The research has been done and it demonstrates that in societies where there is much more of a gap between rich and poor, levels of trust between citizens tend to be lower, people have fewer friends, more people tend to suffer from mental health issues and obesity, levels of self-reported happiness are lower etc. etc.

These are precisely the social issues that have started to become more prominent here in recent times.

In a nutshell, social cohesion gets lost.

This is an overall trend that has been observed in MEDC's and LEDCs over a long period. It is above and beyond any polite arguments we might have on here about party politics.

What this amounts to is that everyone should have enough. Jesus should have said (to justify the Anointing at Bethany) that 'the feckless poor will always be with you.'

I can live with that kind of collateral damage.

Have a Tory, a Labour or some other kind of government if you want. But if you don't address the problem I have described, you are heading for trouble.

Scintillant and George_Randle like this.
  4. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Indeed.

5. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Plenty of other reasons besides economic.

NoseyMatronType likes this.
  6. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Remember the other recent referendum where electoral reform was thoroughly defeated? I accept that the proposal wasn't PR, but I suspect that the electorate won't go for PR, and the current government will have less than no interest in it either.

7. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

It's okay when they do it. Anything is okay when they do it, they think.

8. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

That is true.

For example, the caste system in India has historically contributed to economic inequality there and not just the neoliberal economic policies of recent governments (as Arundhati Roy claims).

Income inequality is also not so pronounced in Japan. But in a generally cohesive society (drop your wallet in the street and you stand an excellent chance of it being handed in and returned), if you do get cast into the outer darkness, you are in trouble. Here I am thinking of the substantial homeless population in places like the Kamagasaki district of Osaka, a place that I have first hand experience of.

https://medium.com/onthejourney/staying-in-kamagasaki-the-slum-of-osaka-de7b29abaaa6

The burakumin population of Japan are also heavily discriminated against, along with native Koreans.

Plus, we all know that correlation does not prove causation.

But even allowing for all that, having spent years immersed in the relevant multidisciplinary literature, I am still convinced that the relationship that I have outlined exists.

Kandahar likes this.