1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A slow cooker question....

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by SuzeJ, Nov 13, 2011.

1. I love my slow cooker and use it quite frequently especially in the colder months. I've been chatting to a friend tonight who would never have one as she thinks they are a potential fire hazard as they are left unattended. I leave mine on overnight and occasionally in the day, check it's on low and has enough liquid in.
    Isn't the purpose of a slow cooker to enable one to come back, after a hard day at work, to a delicious cooked meal ready and waiting? Is there any basis to her concerns? I've never thought so but maybe I'm wrong?

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

There is absolutely no problem whatsoever in leaving the slowcooker on!
    I regulary left mine on when I went out to work...and when I worked stupid hours I was out of the house for up to 17 hours with the slowcooker left on.
    I am paranoid. I never leave the house if the washing machine is on - in case it floods...or the spindryer (it might explode...seriously, I'm Aspie, I worry constantly about stupid things like this!)...My TV is switched off and unplugged every night in case it bursts into flame whilst I'm sleeping (Fire terrifies me, I don't use candles because they might spark and cause a fore...and I have escape rooms planned from every room in my flat in case of fire!)..................but I am so confident in the safety of my slowcooker that I leave it unattended and go out! Surely that shows how safe it is?