1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A simple yes or no...

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by tattyb, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Everyone's fed up with CA now. I have a son in year 11 and believe me he has a CA nearly every week! BTW I am really impressed with those of you who have students who would actually learn essays off by heart - my word you'd never get my lot doing that.
    If we did go 'back' to exam I still think they should be allowed dictionaries.

2. Yes definitely.

3. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Short answer = Yes

HOWEVER I remember years ago when there wasn't any coursework for languages but there was for other subjects. Their coursework ALWAYS took precedence over any homework they were given for languages (written or vocab learning), to the point that they were taken out of other lessons to finish it. In the end they ended up by continually prioritising other subjects over languages until it was simply too late. I don't want to go back to those days either.

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Too true, but the recent message from Ofqual is that controlled assessment is here to stay.

5. chriszwinter1

Here's that message:

http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/help-and-support/94-articles/821:
    The substance of controlled assessments will not change. Centres will still schedule the controlled assessments as appropriate, but the controlled assessment unit(s) will need to be entered at the same time as the student is sitting the GCSE. Where controlled assessment tasks are changed regularly, centres will need to make sure they are using the appropriate task(s) for the year of GCSE entry.

6. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I agree.
    A yes from me.

7. chriszwinter1

8. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Slightly off topic but if CAs are here to stay then they need to make the conditions between subjects fair. At the moment students studying English can have any amount of help on the walls, and I believe the same is true of history and geography - we on the other hand have to hide our displays or find another room. I am talking about the last hour of write-up not the preparation phase.