1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A simple yes or no...

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by tattyb, Nov 27, 2011.

1. I fully agree!

2. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

I find the responses interesting as when there was a choice between a written exam and written coursework, over 80% of candiadates did the coursework!!

3. Yes please....sick to death of CA!....and so are my students....

4. Yes
    (and why not bring back the picture essay while we're on?!)

5. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

This is not really surprising. As has already been mentioned, if there is a choice between the 2 systems, teachers will feel compelled to go for the coursework option, particularly in more 'challenging' schools where it's seen as the teacher's responsibility to make sure their students get the best possible grades.
    By removing the choice, you're putting all schools / candidates on a level playing field.

6. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Yes
    (also known as CIE IGCSE)

7. YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's get rid of the stupid controlled assessment !

8. I like the idea - but it would surely kill the up take at GCSE, despite the Ebacc.

9. Yes !! Better indicator of true linguistic ability, less time consuming to prepare, less stressful for students who either always want to make it better or can't be bothered to prepare, less stressful for teachers if all exams are marked by the exam board (which is what they are paid to do, isn't it??). We can go back to educating the students instead of processing them.
    Terminal exams were around in previous years in my 18-year experience.... Hey, let's go back round the wheel again. Plus ça change..........

10. There has never been a better examination to assess true linguistic ability than 'O' Level, although the distribution of grades left a lot to be desired, the tests of dictation (now could be pre-recorded of course), a composition and translations (all without a defined vocab list) provided us with linguists and not league table fodder. Well beyond the capabilities of many of our A* candidates today, I suppose, and far too expensive to administer I would think.
    I fear we are merely kidding ourselves if we claim that the current or any previous incarnation of the GCSE has either tested linguistic ability, or produced pupils who can do more than describe their bedrooms (which they have to do all the time when in France, of course).

11. littlemissmo

littlemissmo New commenter

Yes!
    Coursework was better than CA - all they do now is memorise one of the many essays available on the internet!

12. Absolutely. YES! Why are MFL teachers not being listened to or heard?

13. Yes - students might take the exam more seriouslyand make more effort first time round, knowing that there are no second, third, fourth .... chances. As for writing, a level playing field would be most welcome. A real assessment of linguistic ability, rather than memory skills and the level of teacher / parental / private tutor input.