1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A simple yes or no...

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by tattyb, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Yes, then we might actually be able to teach some proper language instead of teaching to short-term assessment.

2. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

We are now assessing all of our year groups every 6 weeks by giving them exams. Men. Tal.

3. If the exam boards are telling us that CA was imposed on them by Ofqual, and they don't like it either, why is Russian still examined the old way?

Please continure to reply Yes or No, but further comments also welcome!

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Yes
    As long as other subjects do the same. is it any wonder the kids find MFL hard when they have other lessons on their timetable that require less work but they get more "qualifications"?

5. Yes. We should lobby Micheal Gove!

6. westnab

westnab New commenter

YES! It would be so nice to teach properly again!

Quite.

7. Yes.

8. yes -and YES as long as other subjects do the same, as mentioned above

9. YES YES YES

- Seconday MFL teacher

(is anyone in power reading this thread?)

10. shropshire14

shropshire14 New commenter

11. To be honest, tattyb, I don't know. It would be interesting to know whether other lesser-taught languages have also been left alone.

12. Probably because most candidates are either native or heritage speakers and CA would be extremely difficult to organise in the majority of schools. I suspect that now applies to Russian, which is regretfully taught in too few schools, whereas the number of Russian speaking students has increased tremendously.
    I worked in a school which relied on the local fish and chip shop owner to conduct the orals for Portuguese speaking students. He did it as a favour to the students. He was a busy man who had better things to do than admiinister CA.

13. Just to keep the thread on track, the YES or NO question was to whether people wanted an exam only system, CA and Coursework not an option.
    The reason why i started this, was because this is now there as an option (the Certificate in MFL offered by AQA), but it is not being taken up in my opinion, beacuse whilst it runs along side the CA system, people see it as too much of a risk. This is because pupils will be compared to those who have already learned an answer off by heart under the CA system. teachers who are pressurised by league tables see CA as the more streddful, but "safer" option. The resaons why CA is safer are various, and not always moral. Whilst this exists, people will be to scared to take the plunge and opt for a writing exam. If however we had no choice, and the playing field was leveled so that everybody had to do an exam, then we would all be in the same boat, and far less stressed in my opinion.

14. A resounding "yes".

15. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Yes. (We used to do this on the Edexcel board, the students took the terminal writing assessment and speaking exam, it was a lot easier than the controlled assessments. That said, when we switched to coursework (not the current CA but the old-style CW of 5 pieces, 3 shorter and 2 longer), the students did better. The current CAs are not good for the teacher - the speaking sessions are a nightmare and I think the old style orals are much better. )

16. I suppose you could just do the teaching as desired over 2 years and run a couple of 'exams' towards the end of Y11. Just don't call them CAs. Well taught students who have grafted will do well. The others won't.

17. In many schools that is not allowed. You cannot just let those who don't work fail. There has to be intervention. That is why CA/ coursework will have to be abolished altogether. The opportunity to 'intervene' is just too tempting for teachers working in ' all must pass' type schools.