1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A simple yes or no...

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by tattyb, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Would you support a GCSE system which had a compulsory writing examination and termainal oral exam, and no coursework or controlled assessment at all? This is, every GCSE candidate, whatever the exam board, took one speaking exam and one writing exam at the end of the course.(as well as aural and written comprhension elements.)

Thanks for responding, looking to guage opinion of language teachers.

2. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

3. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

4. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

5. Yes, of course. Gives better indication of linguistic ability than the current memory.tests

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Yes.
    Please, Father Christmas, please!

7. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

8. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

You mean the system some of us were using the year before last? Absolutely yes yes yes yes yes please!

9. YES!!!!

10. hpblossom

hpblossom New commenter

11. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

13. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Yes - we used to do the old writing exam (not coursework) and terminal speaking exam. They were still a memory test to some extent but I feel that it was fairer to weaker pupils that they could wait until the end of the course before being tested.

14. I used to do writing exam too, and would love to change to the new GCSE certificate, but HOD says no, as it would be unfair to make our pupils compete with the CA system where cheating is far easier (even though we do absolutely everything by the book now)
    The only hope for me is if CA is completely scrapped it seems.

Please continue to reply with "Yes or no" and if it gets big enough, i will print it out and post it to local MP.

15. a_rooti

a_rooti New commenter

YES!!!

16. Yes. This is what we have for Russian and it works.