1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A senior moment?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Mar 10, 2016.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

GRRR! I have just spent two hours fathoming the mysteries of installing a new network printer (do they HAVE to make this stuff so complicated??), only to immediately 'remove this device' instead of removing the previous deceased printer! So I am now back to trying to work out how to install a new network printer......Sigh!

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Gets better when you set it up and it wont connect because you have to change numbers inside the software....my laser printer did it for me.changed it without asking me. Good job I have a son who is a computer whizz....well sometimes lol

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

My "moment" with the new wireles printer was having got it to work on day of purchase....when I came next to use it.... wirelessly.... it started to ask me for a password

??***???
    What password? I had no memory of having set one
    So I then start to use all the "favourites"..... and nothing is working.
    I examined the paperwork that came with it. On 2nd read thru I noticed it mentioned password....so I went to HP web site. Still no joy. I looked again and it spoke of printing off a page if you pressed the I Info button on the machine

Hey presto....a sheet was produced...it started printing... AND on this sheet was a password..... for wireless printing.

Grrrrrrrr I felt stupid without being entirely sure I had been that stupid.... (oh and the password was 12345678 !!!!

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Always read the destructions

BelleDuJour likes this.
  5. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

You have my sympathies. There is nothing that can turn me into a quivering rage like technology does…...

6. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

Although I sympathise with your tech angst my senior moments are starting to become embarrassing. There were moments when I could not remember the word "remote" so I resorted to "Can you pass me the thing that changes the channel". That was ok cos it was only amongst family members. Last week we had a plumber doing some work on the boiler. We got chatting and it turned out his wife was a teacher. I revealed my status as a retired teacher and when he asked me where I used to teach I could not remember! I only left the place in July and had spent 15 years there. I could not believe myself. After about 45 seconds I finally recalled the name but felt a 100% prize idiot.

cissy3 likes this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

One of my wives had been pestering me to get her an iphone last year, but I made it clear I wasn't going to because there were more pressing bills coming up, such as getting the car MOTed, taxed and insured. Besides, she already chosen a touch screen phone a year earlier that she couldn't get on with and exchanged it for one with buttons.

So today she handed me a ten quid basic phone she'd just bought and asked me to set it up for her. When I asked why she needed another phone she told me she'd mislaid the last one. When I asked if she'd checked out the features before she'd chosen it, she told me it didn't really matter what it had as she never uses the phone now anyway as she prefers to use her kindle to keep in touch with people and always had her mobile ringtone turned off so she wouldn't be troubled by people calling her on it.

I sympathise with that notion, since although I have a mobile myself, I only bought it for the transitional period when I gave up my career in flogging machinery, handed the company phone back but had a number that my customers could use to get in touch if they needed support. So these days it rarely gets used unless I stay away overnight on a course. In fact, to show how little use it gets, I've had it for four years, it came with ten pounds worth of credit and I've topped it up once with another ten quid's worth since.

Anyway, I'm becoming almost as familiar with senior logic as I'd become accustomed to female logic and it's fascinating when the two are combined.

I anticipate that things will become testy in the coming week or so when to our mutual chagrin, I will be issued with a company iphone to comply with the H&S requirements of being a lone worker and be expected to carry it with me at all times I am on duty. My pocket already bulges with the phone that connects to the estate landline and the residents' alarm system.

I have to wear shirts without a pocket to carry my glasses in, so they have to go in my trouser pocket along with the myriad of keys I need to do the job. The most practical thing I could wear would be one of those fishing jerkins with a million pockets, but I'm expected to be smartly, casually dressed.

I can just imagine her little face lighting up and seeing the dog hide for cover under my desk amid the door slamming and plate crashing when she discovers I get given the very thing for free that she recently coveted.

It's a mad world, isn't it?

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Get some of those strings for dangling glasses round your neck. I have been using them for years for my reading glasses, which I need to read any damn thing. They are very cheap off ebay or amazon usually in packs of 3+. At opticians and in places like boots they are silly prices.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

But only after.

10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I perch my reading glasses on top of my head - I've lost count of the number of times they get tangled in my hair when I reach for them.

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Being long- winded is a feature of senior moments which means they are no longer senior moments but senior quarters of an hour.

12. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I do the same and am really hoping that my prescription needs changing when I go to the opticians next week because the nose rest bits of my current pairs seem to tangle more than other pairs I've had.

Not to mention the number of times I've searched high and low for my specs only to find them on my head after ages :oops:

cissy3 likes this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

No, don't do that. It bu g g ers the frames!

14. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

They're those sprung hinge ones and I've got a tiny head so the frames are fine. It's my scalp that suffers because of the hair pulling:mad::(.

You've done better than me. I've never managed to get any of my WiFi printers to work by any other means that via the USB cable. Numerous epic fails and lots of swearing.

15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

If only the destructions COULD be read, rather than those stupid pictures which I can never interpret.

16. Didactylos4

:)
    Every picture tells a story
    Sadly the pictures frequently tell a different story from the one intended by the artist

17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Subject 1) OH does all of the installing of techy things. I find that the expectation of prior knowledge in the instructions is ridiculous!!

Subject 2) I too have a cord thingy for my reading glasses and, when I'm using them, peer over the top for distance. When I was teaching, this 'peering' was used to effect for the off task little darlings. :D

18. Dragonlady30

Bless you!!!

A few hears ago I was diagnosed with a rare condition (I don't do common!! :D ) and one of the symptoms is memory difficulties. You have no idea how liberating it is to be able to blame my condition rather than my age!!! :D :D :D

Alf58 and marlin like this.
  19. Didactylos4

As did I
    I still managed to lose them though :oops:

20. Dragonlady30

Oh dear!! :oops:

I put mine on in the morning and don't take them off till I've finished reading in bed!! :D

Lascarina likes this.