1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A second 'car number plates' thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jan 28, 2020.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So... what's this about?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Digital trickery? Or fraud?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Criminal activity, cloning plates to avoid road tax, insurance, parking fines etc. or for use in other crimes.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Looks like it.
    upload_2020-1-28_20-23-38.png

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

S400 plate belongs to a 2014 Ford B Max according to the Gov MOT check

7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I sent a pic to our local Police station (errr... not so local anymore) of a car parked round the corner from which both numberplates had been removed.
    No acknowledgment so far.
    You do what you can.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oooh get you... local police station...

Right posh ain'tcha

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

:confused:

10. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

We've got one of those - it's boarded up:(

11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

We had one. It’s been converted into a 6 bedroomed house.

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I was once invited to a number plate factory who wanted to know if one of the machines I sold could be incorporated into their production process. As it happens, I told them it was the wrong process for their needs, but it was interesting to see how they went about making them and the volume they had to make for the business to be viable.

The number plates are the last thing that ever get made for a car and because they are all standard now, the number plate factories are not tied to any particular car maker. I've often thought it ridiculous that more car parts haven't been standardised. Do you not agree that it ought to be possible in this day and age, for things like starter motors and alternators for any vehicle in a particular engine size to be identical?

Try to imagine how dificult life would be, if every house bulder used their own unique elecrical sockets in the houses they built and changed them with every house design? Every time you bought an appliance, you'd have to source the specific plug you needed to attach to the appliance for when your house was built and the chances of getting one off the shelf for a house built fifty years ago would be slim.

If you think in terms of what setting a standard for the three pin 13A socket and plug has done to limit the effects of climate change and ask yourself how lax the motor industry has been in adopting widely used standards when they design their cars, so that all vehicle manufaturers use as far as possible, parts under the bonnet that have nothing to do with vehicle performance or aesthetics, how much energy it would save?

As Tesco say, "Every little helps", and I don't doubt they wrong, so why not ask how muche energy gets wasted every time a mechanic has to search a database for the specific part your car needs; or how much energy you waste searching around to find a car breaker who has the exact part you need for your motor if you can repair it yourself, you'll appreciate how absurd the car industry is.

I remember reading an article that linked railway track sizes to Roman carts and if you venture to Hadrian's wall, you'll see why the Romans had to set a stardard for the distance between cart wheels and consequently this became the standard that never changed for donkeys' years, so when Stephenson designed a railway, he didn't sod about reinventing the wheel for the carriages. He adopted the standard used by the Romans and cart makers ever since.

It's not rocket science.

caress and Lalad like this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ours was knocked down and replaced with a hotel.

Jamvic likes this.
  14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Ours has been demolished and will become a block of old folk's flats.

Jamvic likes this.
  15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You'll probably get a better more action by reporting it to your local council as an abandoned vehicle. Having no number plates is one of the things they usually consider to be an indicator that it's abandoned. Then they'll remove it and crush it. Shame if the owner had just removed them to prevent getting a parking ticket ;)