1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A school with NO behaviour policy!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by pavot, Feb 3, 2012.

1. I couldn't believe it either.
    Currently a PGCE student in my second placement school. The school I'm in came out of special measures about 2 years ago, is 'satisfactory' and they're striving for 'good' in a looming ofsted visit (my first placement school was 'good' and this school pales in comparison.)

From what I've heard/read in Ofsted reports the school has had a bad time re Senior Leadership / aspirations of pupils / attendance.
    It is in a rather deprived area of the city with a wide catchment area. There are a high number of SEN pupils, EAL and FSM students. Overall behaviour is rather disruptive. Of course there are some students who behave perfectly, and it's not as if most of the students are purposely malicious (some are, of course!).

However, with no behaviour policy how can I possibly hope to have the support available. One teacher told me today that he 'never gives detentions' because he 'doesn't believe in them' however another teacher gave a detention for forgetting a pen. There seems to be two extremes, however some more disruptive behaviour (swearing/shouting very loudly/consistently off task/bullying/phones etc) in Mr ForgettingPen's class goes unreported.

I feel like every move or sanction I make is in vain, as senior staff don't seem to support or follow through with things.
    When I asked the deputy head about behaviour management on the first day I told that it was up to the department, when I asked the department, I was told that it was up to the SLT.
    When I finally had my induction (child protection/SENCO/SIMS training - 2 weeks after I'd started teaching) I was expecting to hear also about a behaviour policy. It was then that I got told it didn't actually exist.

Surely with Ofsted looming they'd want to get this locked down, it is all very blasé, when realistically there is a complete lack of respect for adults in the school. This results in my teaching being unfortunately at the moment 90% teacher led, as if I let them do independent things they go immediately off task (something you'd rather not happen after getting them to sit in the right place for the first 10 minutes of the lesson...) and there books are bare.

I feel at a loss with no support. I can't comprehend why they wouldn't have a strict behaviour policy in place. I've started to try and implement my own procedure, but with so many different procedures the students seem to have a distorted view of what is 'fair'. Of course I go through with my sanctions and I don't dish out empty threats.
    What do I do as I feel like I'm fighting this battle on my own!

2. Oops I wrote in paragraphs in my preview! First post (long time lurker) so a little new on this posting lark.

3. Tell your mentors at uni (or wherever your PGCE's based) immediately. You must look after number one.

4. casper

casper New commenter

Our school has a behaviour policy, but it is being ignored. Some teachers do it and others do not. It is making it very hard for the teachers who do follow the policy as we get an awful time for doing just that. Now we are not allowed to discuss behaviour in the staff room either. A large roll of gaffe tape needed..

5. Thank you for your replies. I'd really rather get this sorted sooner rather than later so I appreciate your quick replies.
    Also just noticed a terrible there/their mixup in my first post! Only excuse is that it's a Friday and a few glasses of red are in order.

6. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Good grief!!! What happens if you do? Talk about Big Brother - are you "allowed" to talk about it at home? I never heard the like in all me borns!

7. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

Welcome to my world OP!!!
    In your situation (i.e., where your placement in the school is temporary) I would just sit it out and try to pursue things on your own as best you can. Then of course you will get to leave once you have finished your placement/passed your PGCE.
    In my situation (i.e., where you are on a permanent contract), I would advise anyone involved to leave as soon as possible (I have been in my current school for more than three years now and have had enough, so am looking for a new post to start in September). You certainly shouldn't put up with this sort of nonsense long-term and sadly you are unlikely to be able to change the people at the top.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I overheard a conversation in a staffroom today where a teacher was explaining how she'd recorded names of those misbehaving and had ended up with one pupil who had transgressed enough times to warrant a break detention immediately after the lesson.
    The pupil had apparently said "I'm not staying for that!" and had walked off and the teacher recounted how because the pupil hadn't made a huge fuss about it or been abusive, they were happy to let it pass!
    That's why things start to slide. Why would anyone stay for that teacher's DTs again when they know that (semi-politely) walking off is not followed up?

9. There is a statutory obligation to have a behaviour policy - OFSTED will hammer the school as it is not meeting it's safeguarding obligations for staff or students.

10. If issues arise that are covered by the legal system you can go to that - if the shouting is threats or there are unsolicited physical incident, this is assault.
    Record all incidents. Date and time, details of what happened.
    You could contact the LA and ofsted. You need support. It may be a requirement that schools have a behaviour policy; find out.

11. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Because they have strong leadership who walk the walk. As Tom has said more than once, there are some schools which just don't deserve to have any pupils. You work in one. I used to work in another.