1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A school is 6 times as likely to stay inadequate if it becomes a sponsored academy

Discussion in 'Education news' started by tavypilgrim, Dec 31, 2015.

1. tavypilgrim

tavypilgrim New commenter

2. tt198

tt198 New commenter

Yes, because only those schools that are judged to be capable of improving quickly are allowed to remain in the maintained sector.

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yes, because if all else fails, might as well let someone make a bob or two out of it.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Have you evidence to prove this?

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Another factor is primary / secondary.
    Round here, the LEA is still significant within the primary sector and would have the resources to support a primary school in difficulties.
    I am not sure whether there are any secondaries left in my LEA and I suspect that the local expertise has been dispersed. Support would have to be found from elsewhere.

6. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Oh I'm sure A Consultancy run by the CEO's mate could be found to provide support.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not deeply surprised... aren't schools that become sponsored Academies usually deeply underperforming anyway?

I am surprised in that I'd subscribe to the conspiracy theory 'Ofsted pushes Academies so would be more likely to find them Good or Outstanding'... which this evidence doesn't seem to support.

Might be I'll have to ... shock horror! ... shift my thinking!