1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Sad Day

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, May 24, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I found out yesterday afternoon that an ex-colleague of mine had succumbed to the Cancer that had blighted his life for the previous three years. He was a cracking HOD, he had all the qualities you need to be a good one, he was a good teacher, hard working (he was first in every day), funny, understanding, organized and sensible (to name just a few of his good points). In retrospect he probably should have sought medical help long before he did as he complained of pain for several years before his diagnosis and by the time he did get a formal diagnosis it was almost too late. I left just before he was diagnosed so I heard about it second hand and I remember it was quite a shock.

Before he joined us we were a totally demoralized department - the previous two HODs (one was a vicious bully, the other was just not up to the job) had left morale very low. He organized and inspired us and we got some fantastic results. Not the easiest group of people to manage (to put it mildly) but he did it with ease and nobody made waves.

After his diagnosis - he had some time off for treatment and for a while things went well. The cancer declined and he was able to return to school on a part time basis. I saw him around this time and he seemed fit and well on the way to recovery.

But sadly the cancer eventually returned and spread further and he left permanently a few months ago. He died a few weeks ago (as I said I only found out yesterday) at home and at peace according to the person who told me.

People of his quality are rare - a man who never considered his own needs would come above those of his colleagues and department. I can even forgive his terrible taste in music and he was a real gem. By some distance the best HOD I have ever had the privilege to work with.

R.I.P - you were one of a kind.

2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Sorry to hear this.

bonxie, pepper5, Lidnod and 4 others like this.
  3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

He sounds like a rare kind.
    condolences to his family and friends, and to you peakster.

bonxie, pepper5, Lidnod and 4 others like this.
  4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Very sad to read this. But you have written a wonderful tribute to him which his family would no doubt really appreciate, were they to read it.

nizebaby, lindenlea, bonxie and 7 others like this.
  5. Wanda_the_Wonder

Wanda_the_Wonder Occasional commenter

Lovely to write such words about a colleague.

nizebaby, pepper5, Lidnod and 4 others like this.
  6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Such a lovely tribute. I am sure the family would appreciate it - can you send them a copy?
    Send not to know for whom the bell tolls...

pepper5, steely1 and Jamvic like this.
  7. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Condolences on the loss of your friend & colleague. It certainly sounds like he was one of the good guys, the kind of teacher & leader we need to see more of in the profession.

pepper5, Lidnod and steely1 like this.
  8. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

Sounds like an increasingly rare breed in education.

Rest in peace. Condolences to you, and to his nearest and dearest.

pepper5 and Jamvic like this.
  9. Nealswife

Nealswife Occasional commenter

he previous two HODs (one was a vicious bully, the other was just not up to the job) had left morale very low. He organized and inspired us and we got some fantastic results. Not the easiest group of people to manage (to put it mildly) but he did it with ease and nobody made waves.

He was one of the good guys - sad loss to the world. Great shame.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

In my entire career I only ever had one HOD who managed that feat. Very rare breed indeed.

steely1 and pepper5 like this.
  11. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

Very sorry to hear this too. He was clearly an inspiration to colleagues and children alike. I feel equally sad that his passing won’t be marked in the way some many would want it to be due to this wretched virus. I hope, as things settle, there will be the memorial service he so clearly deserves.

steely1, pepper5 and Jamvic like this.
  12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If he inspired that kind of eulogy, then a sad loss to everyone.

13. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

A lovely tribute to your colleague and friend, @peakster. A sad loss to the profession.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I remember when we got our results back for the first set of modular exams (which we had then) that the kids had done since he had joined us.

They were fantastic - and they were for a few years.

pepper5 likes this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

He used to cycle in every day and occasionally would miss the odd day with back pain. We did suggest that he might want to get it looked at but he always shrugged and thought it was a disc problem or something.

But it wasn't.

pepper5 likes this.
  16. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Jamvic and pepper5 like this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

...also he never forgot biscuits for staff meetings.

bajan and steely1 like this.
  18. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

That's really sad, @peakster . He sounds a wonderful colleague and human being.

Jamvic likes this.
  19. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@peakster: A touching tribute to a fine man. A pity such people are very much the exception now.

Jamvic likes this.
  20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It sounds as though he leaves a legacy of fine examples of how to be a leader, a teacher and a man. Condolences.