1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A sad day but I am over the moon

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by blueskies31, Mar 14, 2016.

1. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

After 12 years of dedicated service including various leadership roles, I have accepted a role out of teaching. I just couldn',t take any more.

I will greatly miss the children but will not miss all the bullsh*t that has been thrown at our schools.

I feel very sad but am determined to remember all the positives I've had over the years and never waste another second of my life worrying about book scrutinies, lesson obs and being blamed for pupils' behaviour.

I've got 8 more days left in school and I'm going to enjoy every minute!

Alf58, katykook, petenewton and 8 others like this.
  2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Best wishes and good luck. There's more escaping than did from Colditz!!

grumpydogwoman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

Very best wishes for your new life.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Good for you. Put your money where your mouth is. Best wishes.

5. burntoutteacher

burntoutteacher Occasional commenter

Congratulations!!! You must feel on cloud nine. What are you moving into?

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Another one lost from the profession. It's sad, but enjoy rebuilding your life and confidence.
    P

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Enjoy your new life and venture.

You must feel like a million.

8. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Sometimes a Dunkirk moment is for the best!

9. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

Good luck! I too will be going in summer, these last few weeks have been awful & linked to the things you say you won't miss above! Hope you enjoy your last few days.

Anonymity and Scintillant like this.
  10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Well done you

A brave move that will repay itself many times over

Enjoy!

11. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

Well done...hope to do the same myself in the near future.

Scintillant and Anonymity like this.
  12. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

<jealous>

Good luck! :)

13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So sad.
    Do enoy these precious days and I wish you well with your new adventure.

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

For some reason this doesn't show up in the post (though it does when I go to edit the post?
    I know we only represent a small percentile here on TES, but if this is representational across the country. . .:eek:

15. Metalhead

Metalhead New commenter

I truly hope that it works out for you. I'm sure it will. Teaching brings with it an absolute wealth of transferrable skills that so few of you (us) even realise.

I was 'managed out' of a job I loved after multiple management changes and a major falling out with my HOD. The union were useless and I ended up paying for my own legal advice. I won round one but when it came to round two - and there is always a round two - I quit. I took a call centre job and retrained myself. That was 4 years ago.

I am now fairly senior in a huge company's L&D team, designing learning interventions for approximately 40,000 people. That's a big class. And the best bit? Someone else delivers it :)

I earn more than I did teaching. I can work from home. I adore my colleagues. We laugh, we rant, we support each other. People actually praise each other and say thank you. It's a whole different world out there if you look for it.

It's funny in a way. I used to teach English and Media Studies up to A2. I now use those skills to design sessions on how to write effective letters. I use the years of experience of dealing with stroppy 16-18 year olds to design soft skills sessions. I use my media experience to develop micro learning and campaigns as well as throwing it all into eLearning design and the digital space. I can project plan and all the other admin stuff with my eyes shut. "External Audit," you cry? Try HMI and then tell me you're stressed...at this point I normally get swore at.

I'm happier than I've ever been. I love my job. Genuinely. Going to work - when I actually need to go into an office - is a pleasure, and I feel like I'm making a difference to our staff. I'm helping them to reach their career goals. They may have been let down by an education system that isn't fit for purpose but once they hit the world of work they're in my hands - and I'm going to do all I can to set them up for success.

Good luck in your new career. You'll smash it....

The real world is a very different place indeed. At least where I work.

16. And100

And100 New commenter

Many congrats to you! Hoping to do the same and be out by Sept. I haven't secured another job yet, so it's a tricky time. However, it is the only option as continuing in this profession will send me to an early grave. Wishing you all the very best

slingshotsally likes this.
  17. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

You won't regret it.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  18. hasslethehog

hasslethehog New commenter

Envious. Dying to know what area you're moving into?

19. muffinmops

muffinmops New commenter

Congratulations, It is a little scary but you will not regret it.
    I left teaching at christmas and I dont have that Sunday anxiety anymore. Also two people have commented on how my face looks softer now because it is no longer strained. Drop in income but well worth it. Your health is your wealth. good luck. xx

20. muffinmops

muffinmops New commenter

I can now go to the toilet when I want, drink a coffee at my desk if I want, keep my phone turned on and have a good laugh with other adults.