1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A sad and thought provoking article for this time of year

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Dec 5, 2015.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Why is it 'The letter you always wanted to write'?

3. FrankWolley

They publish one every week, I think. Aimed to be something you can't actually do (someone who's dead, or in this case, estranged or for some other reason).

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I don't understand the rationale of it. Who would ever want to write a letter of that kind? I've always thought the Guardian was weird.

5. FrankWolley

And what about the content?

Any thoughts?

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Yes. I would never want to be in a position to have to write a letter like that because it would mean that my sister had destroyed herself.

7. FrankWolley

Can we ever be that certain about someone else? That no-one we know & love won't go 'off the rails'?

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Of course we can't but that's not the point.

9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Because it's a way of externalising what you are feeling and thinking and - perhaps - a vague hope that the recipient might get to read it.

10. FrankWolley

Actually I rather think it is - or at least one of them.

11. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

It's impossible to know what to think. I found the letter difficult to read as it seemed to sentimentalise an issue or issues that were so serious it's impossible to bring emotion into it.

12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I don't think I would ever write a letter of that type.
    If I haven't been able to say things to people when I could have I just have to live with the regrets/consequences.
    I suppose some people might find it to be a form of comfort so I'm not dismissing the idea. It's just not for me

lexus300 likes this.