1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

A rubbish lakeland product....

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RJR_38, May 11, 2011.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Yes I know I should be ashamed of saying such a thing but I bought some poach pods a while ago and used them for the first time last night - they are now in the bin! My poached eggs always came out ok but never looked perfect so I thought the pods would help.
    Well... within 30 seconds one of them had sunk low enough into the water that water creeped into the pod (so what was the point?!) they took much longer to cook and then when they wre cooked I couldn't get them out of the blimming pods so I had to scoop the eggs out so the yolks split everywhere etc. As a result they are now in the bin and I will stick to properly cokoed but sometimes ugly poached eggs!

2. Oooh - sharp intake of breath. Some people here adore their poach pods!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I don't get on eith poach pods either. Thought I was the only one as so many people on here seem to love them!
    Two of them going free to a good home!

4. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I know people rave about them - thats why I got some..... luckily I got them practically free as I got a voucher for spending so much on other stuff :p

Belle - mine went freely to the bin - I couldn't even face trying to wash/scrape the egg off of them considering they would just be sitting in my drawer. Oh well, live and learn!

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I would like to take this opportunity to point that I returned all of my poach pods to Lakeland.
    Then my husband (who likes to think he has a sense of humour) bought me 2 for Valentine's Day and I haven't had the nerve to use them because I can just imagine him rolling around on the floor laughing if I do!

6. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

All HOW many, EG? [​IMG]

7. Si N. Tiffick

I read somewhere that you need to butter (not oil) the poach pods lightly before using, otherwise they stick. I realise this info is a tad too late!

8. egyptgirl

I forget the exact figure...

9. Si N. Tiffick

snigger!

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Personally I find poaching an egg easy enough not to require a special gadget to do it in....just a pan of barely simmering water.
    I also don't like the shape of poach pod eggs......too round!
    When I did use them I found they took longer than traditional poached eggs anyway. Waste of money! (and mine were from Fortnum & Mason.....same product but cost more!)

11. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Buttering them probably would have made sense - but what a load of faff!! Belle like you I have never really had any problem poaching them but I liked the look of perfectly round ones if I was serving it to someone other than myself - they are now just going to have to lump it lol.

12. egyptgirl

Have a friend who once told me she trimmed hers with a pair of nail scissors. Never eaten at her house since, though.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I just put a tiny bit of butter in the pods and into the pan to melt. Then I spread it round with a bit of kitchen towel before adding the eggs.
    I find it quite quick. My eggs go on for 3 mins plus toasting time and they are perfect, those are extra large ones. That said I never could get them to work properly in just a pan of water.

14. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Ewwww to the nail scissors EG!!
    Bombay I find that if I boil the water (with a tiny bit of white wine vinegar) then as soon as it is on a rolling boil I add the eggs (large) and toast the bread - they are both ready at exactly the same time then so poach pods definitely take longer. If they work for you then thats great - you are a greater person than me hehe

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Line a tea cup with clingfilm allowing plenty of spare over the edges. Put your egg into this and loosely tie up the clinfilm at the top. Put them in the boiling water for however long you usually do - lovely shape and no mess!

16. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Brilliant!

17. And if you go the clingfilm route you can cook them in advance (a little undercooked) pop them still in film into warm not hot water, and then pootle around cooking toast, bacon, asparagus etc wihout fuss. They'll be lovely and runny, still hot enough (don't pop them nto boiling water or they'll be bullets)

18. I put my eggs into the simmering water with a soup ladel. Remove the ladel a couple of seconds later as the protein starts to gel.
    No need for poach pods!