1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A reluctant comeback....(possibly)

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lovejoy_antiques, Dec 11, 2018.

1. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

I managed to get a job outside of teaching in the summer, unfortunately the company has recently folded in the run up to Christmas. Hence I now need to sort something out quickly. I've signed up with a supply agency for day to day work, but the thought of hiring myself out to be bullied by 12 year olds is already filling me with dread and anxiety!

Reading the posts on here things dont seem to be improving in this world of book scrutinies, learning walks, hostile observations and support plans! All amidst the general chaos of the lawless modern classroom where adults within the safe perimeter of the school fences are seen as nothing more than rubber toys to be chewed on. In the 12 years I spent teaching I've lost count of the times I've been given a rule to enforce only to watch the so called support crumble when that rule was challenged or even worse management siding with the most vile of students over you in the hope of building that "special relationship" with a key troublemaker.

I remember seeing old boys shuffling in on supply seemingly oblivious to being talked over, ignoring chaos and being unphased by phone/coat/food violations. I used to think they were useless and wonder why they made no effort to take charge. Now I know!

Sir_Henry likes this.
  2. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

Supply isn't always like that. Go in open minded and don't stress over it. It's a stop gap until something better comes along. Keep applying outside of the profession. So you got out and were unlucky. Do your research. Look at which industries are likely to be ones that go under. Retail is one that is under threat. If you don't have too many commitments look abroad. Don't let one set back put you off. Good luck

agathamorse, SundaeTrifle and saluki like this.
  3. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

I have to be honest (sorry), I have just returned from teaching abroad. I don't really want to go back into a full-time teaching role where I'm constantly trying to jump through the constantly moving hoops, so I am doing day-to-day supply. I pretty much hate going in to secondary schools. I am secondary trained and have been teaching since 2004. It's hard. Teenagers are horrible to teachers. Especially to supply teachers.

However....when the bell rings at the end of the day, you walk away without giving a ****!! I had an absolutely awful day yesterday. I talked myself out of walking out 6 times during the day. I messaged my agency and said I'm never going back there. And I never will. You can pick and choose (depending on how much you need the money). And of course, if you have thicker skin than I, yesterday may have been a breeze.
    Nobody asks to check the 'work' they're doing, nobody wants to observe you, ask you about targets.

I've also been doing the odd day in primary schools, which is a lot nicer. Quite scary the first time - I had zero experience of teaching anyone younger than 8 (I also run a tutoring business), but reception/year 1 is my new favourite.

4. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

Got the call this morning....bit of a surprise as last I heard the agency were still chasing references! Anyway during a year 8 cover I had the dawning realisation that I had been featuring in this same pantomime since before these kids were born. The sense of deja vu when a kid tries to tell me their usual teacher let's them chew gum/wear head phones/sit next to their silly friend was overwhelming! Still at least I'm well rehearsed while the latest batch figure out what role they are playing and fluff their lines.

Also met a few nqt's and trainee's who looked only slightly older than the students. They all seemed so keen and enthusiastic (I wondered which ones would make head of dept in 2 years, SLT in 5)... I felt like a cynical, world weary Humphrey Bogart character in comparison!

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

"Kids are simple blue eyes - I never met one that didn't understand a slap round the face or a slug from a 45."

Supply works if you want to do it and you act like you want to do it. If you choose to be Chandleresque about it don't expect any job satisfaction. To quote the man himself: "There is no trap so deadly as the trap you set for yourself."

I did it for four years - 18 months of anything and everything wherever they sent me, getting known in certain schools who started to ask me back, then the long term jobs started coming in and I had three 0.6 fte posts for the last 2.5 years, so a bit of stability before quitting the mean streets for good. It wasn't always fun but it was a worthwhile challenge and I'd chosen it over remaining in a toxic full-time post so I couldn't whinge about my lot. I quite enjoyed the relative independence and living on my wits. It set me up well for my current role which involves working in schools as a visitor, turning up in an unfamiliar situation and filling the room.

Here's lookin' at you kid. :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    agathamorse and lovejoy_antiques like this.
  6. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

Supply is stressful. You aren't supported in the same way as other staff unless you get a really good department you're covering in or/and SLT. Then you can go elsewhere in the school and it can be chaos. However, if you get a longer term post and turn down any permanent ones then you might be okay. After my current experience (off with WRS) I don't think I want a permanent teaching job again because of the bs scrutiny, the witchhunts etc. I would rather do several terms, even full year jobs and leave and repeat than any of this nonsense. I feel mentally scarred by my current situation and it's affected me quite badly mentally.

tenpast7 and agathamorse like this.