1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A really hard supply stint - back out or stay on?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Ronson, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Ronson

Ronson New commenter

I've just started a very short supply stint - less than a week - at a school. However, the children I'm teaching are a really, really difficult class. Difficult as in the business manager told me shortly after I walked in that they were really difficult and not to take it personally. I perserved with the day, but I found it amazingly tough and called the agency. They said they'd had no heads up about this issue, but this school was new to them. I've worked at about forty different schools, and while I've had difficult classes before, there have only really been three that I said I wouldn't work at again.

I've already tried various strategies to no real avail. I told the agency that I'd let them know mid-day tomorrow if they needed to get someone else for the remaining days. Thing is, I have mixed feelings about this. Should I see it through or back out when I call the agency tomorrow? How would that reflect on me? Has anyone found themselves in the same situation? What did you do?

2. ...try to stick it out. There maybe some other routes within the school you are in that may be more to your liking.
    ...Ive had similar situations but by sticking it out and showing you can hack it...even though you are struggling to do just that....it shows commendable stickability which may be recognised by the powers that be..
    ...frankly speaking, you should be getting more suport from HOD or SMT to help and then try to stamp your authority, e.g. calls to parents, breaktime/lunchtime DETS etc etc

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I too recommend you try to stick it out.
    You remember how hard it is to crack certain classes, but once you do . . . .
    The children may just be pushing their luck, seeing if they can 'see you off', as they may have done with other supplies and it may be once you show them you're not going to walk and care about them, they may turn out to be on your side.

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

If its only for a very short stint and the school are aware that you have a difficult class I will also recommend that you try and stick it out. It will put you in good favor with both the school and agency plus its money in the bank.
    Have a few drinks on Friday evening.

5. I agree with all the above. But perversely I also think that if you think that it won't be worth all the hassle that you will get then why put yourself through it? One of the few perks of supply teaching is that YOU can make the choice whether to stay or go. Ultimately, unless you have a long contract, all you are doing is whipping them in to shape for someone else to get the benefit.

6. Ronson

Ronson New commenter

Well, I stuck with it. I suppose I do feel slightly better that I actually didn't back out, but it didn't feel good at the time I was teaching. In fact, it felt like I was doing crowd control a lot of the time. On my final day another teacher at the school told me - unsolicited mind - that when she'd taught them, they made her doubt her teaching abilities. I've told the agency I won't teach that class again. They assured me that it wouldn't reflect badly on me as I'd had lots of positive feedback to date, and I'd actually come to them rather than not mentioned it until much later.