1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A really great and unusual ballad

Discussion in 'English' started by flowapowa, Jun 29, 2007.

1. I'm looking for one to do with a low ability year 8 and would be really greatful for any suggestions

2. I'm looking for one to do with a low ability year 8 and would be really greatful for any suggestions

3. Try

The Ballad of Charlotte Dymond - My low ability Year 8 loved it and they used it as a starting point for drama - Court case.

They did police reports - storyboarding - looked at the history of the poem etc. Have some resources as I created a work book for this. However spilt coffee on my laptop so I cant email it to you - would be willing to send a copy through the post thoough

VShell

4. The Highwayman - get them to listen to Loreena McKennits musical version - I did this with a bright year 7 and they loved it - they were singing along by the end of it!

5. Ballad of Hillsborough - modern and the kids will understand the context

6. What about 'The Mistletoe Bough' by Thomas Haynes Bayly? Seasonal and creepy! Teachit has a few resources on it and I'll post what I've got on www.morelearning.net tomorrow evening - just look in the key stage 3 directory under 'Narrative Poetry'.

7. If you have an IWB try comparing Charlotte Dymond with the Kylie/Nick Cave song Where the Wild Roses grow - (visuals on youtube) - loads of meaty murder there.Imagine the advice texts from friends of Eliza/Charlotte re their crazy boyfriends!!!

8. Mine loved Charlotte Dymond and The Sad Story of Lefty and Ned.
    Mx

9. The Gresford Disaster went down well with mine - does anyone have a copy of the ballad of hillsborough?

10. Yes I have it somewhere - I will have a look this weekend if you leave an e mail addy.

11. Like Muggle1978, I'd recommend The Ballad of Lefty and Ned. I've never done Charlotte Dymond in KS3, only KS4, but I know one school's low ability might be on a par with another's average.

12. Lefty & Ned is also great for teaching the difference between their, they're and there.

13. The Ballad of Hillsborough

The Liverpool supporters
    Were given the smaller end;
    Crammed behind the goal mouth,
    the fans were tightly penned.

Penned, penned in their thousands
    Penned in under the sky
    No one had ever reckoned
    That ninety five would die.

The barriers all buckled
    They couldn't take the strain
    The cheers of jubilation
    Turned to cries of pain.

And when at last they noticed,
    The police unlocked a gate
    But the exit was too narrow,
    And they'd opened it too late.

14. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I would have replie sooner but my internet didnt want to play. Just read through the mistletoe bough...am going to keep that until next week I think. It'll be a good one to end with before christmas. Just going to have a look at some of the others. Some really great suggestions, I would never have thought of them so thanks again.

15. So sorry - I've been really unwell this week and so haven't posted 'The Mistletoe Bough' resources on www.morelearning.net as promised ... or much else either: I'll see if I can stay awake long enough to do it this evening. Apologies again :-(

16. Would really appreciate it if you could. I thought maybe I was looking in the wrong place. Dont worry if you cant though, I really like the ballad I think I'm going to use it anyway. I hope you're feeling much better soon.

17. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

Last week I used Richard Thompson's song 1952 Vincent Black Lightning because it's great, it's a ballad in "song form" lol and my class loved storyboarding it too.
    I must confess that I did get some "Do you REALLY like this sort of music?" questions, but what the heck!

18. Thank you for the good wishes Flowapowa.

I've managed to post up a presentation on the ballad (which you could use over several lessons as it has activities) which I've created from a number of my lesson plans at www.morelearning.net - It's not perfect but it might give you some ideas. I've also posted a copy of the poem and suggested some ideas in the resource description.

I agree that the grid is a great site for resources although don't think they have any on this ballad - but don't forget Teachit have a few things if you're doing this one.

Good luck :)

19. frankie and johnny