1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A real supply teacher - well on a sitcom

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by robyn147, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Outnumbered - he's quit his job as a history teacher but had a whole week's work as a supply teacher. Good for him - just wait till he doesn't get any and then blames CS.
    Or is that too realistic for a sitcom?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Outnumbered - he's quit his job as a history teacher but had a whole week's work as a supply teacher. Good for him - just wait till he doesn't get any and then blames CS.
    Or is that too realistic for a sitcom?

3. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

He may have had a weeks work, but from the sounds of it they sent him to the cr&p schools!
    Although at the end of the episode he said he'd go grovelling to the head for his job back.... if only! It will have been given to someone else by now in the real world.

4. Waterloo Road has brought in a few supply teacher roles in the past few years. Mostly their story line was that they initially looked like brilliant teachers, but then things turned out differently- one was a paedophile who had not been checked properly by the agency, and he groomed a child; another was a charismatic New Zealander who through the school's lesson plans out and taught his pupils a Haka; another was a fraud, pretending to own a mansion-like house, but was just the house-sitter.

Script writers seem to love supply to develop tabloid-style story lines. A plain good teacher doing a job, or more likely out of a job, doesn't seem to grab the producer's attention.

5. My edit failed, sorry "threw out" and a couple of other slips. Sorry.

6. Haha, my first thought was "Well, he got lucky!"
    Clearly the BBC researchers are exemplary!

7. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

It's not just the supply teachers that have problems in Waterloo Road though is it? Affairs with pupils (although did she actually have QTS? She seemed to be in on the local council), an ex prostitute as a head teacher........ I can't remember the rest.
    Rumour has it that they are burnig Rochdale W.L Rd down and starting again in Glasgow.

So glad I don't work there!