1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

a real dilemma

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sallysparrow, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Hi all
    Your thoughts please!
    I recently started a new job as numberacy co ordinator at a primary in a severly socailly deprived area in the midlands.
    the school has recently come out of special measures with a so called Super Head who has now left to be replaced by an interim.
    As numeracy co ordinator my brief is to improve the quality of numeracy across the school - I cover PPA in most year groups and teach maths at that time.
    the problem is - behaviour is awful - i have always been commended for my behaviour management but this is beyond anything - the children are simply enjoying the disruption.
    I am not working to my best - i am barely coping. My lessons i would judge to be inadequate for the most - not up to my usual standard. I know competition for the job was fierce and i was told my interview lesson was mostly outstanding with some elements of good. my usual standard is good.
    Everything i try to do in my role of co ordinator, the head vetos - APP is not done as standard practise according to Ofsted criteria but some other standard that the head has decided is better!
    I am at my wits end. most of my lessons as simply exercises in crowd control and simply trying to keep children in the classroom is a major challenge. The head has told me i should be able to deal with it!
    This was my dream job! Now after less than a term i don't want to go in. I have had one observation which was satisfactory - the next one i have no idea.
    I am seriously thinking of looking for a new job but i know that will not look good.
    any ideas / suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

OK, you can't teach anything unless they're behaving and listening so I would forget about the maths for the time being and concentrate on behaviour management. In your head, hopefully this will take some pressure off. Yes- they will be behind in their maths, but were they learning anything before?
    Use circle time to talk about their behaviour. Agree strategies for the classes you teach. Draw a set of rules up for each class for when you're in there and agree sanctions. I hope this approach can work for you. How is their behaviour when you're being observed? It's the heads responsibility to ensure good behaviour throughout school. If he doesn't, he's not doing his job properly.
    And yes - sod it, start looking for a new job. Life's too short.

3. Thank you Greta
    Isn't if funny how when you are in thick of it you forget the basics. MOnday morning - will be Sept first! Class expectations and consequences. Only been observed once so far for half the lesson. somehow managed to keep it together for that time but by the end of the lesson everything had gone wrong again.
    These chn do not just misbehave for me - it is across the school. When the head covered one of the classes because the class teacher was off - they were badly behaved as well.
    Unfortunately, (have never come across this before to this extent) the children make the decision to be disrutptive before they come into class. You can hear them discussing the fact that they will 'be naughty'.
    I have heard chn talking like thisbefore going into other classes too - the rudeness and standard of behaviour is something i have never witnessed before.
    I think i have started thinking about looking for another job - just not sure how it will look on my CV.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

*sniggers*

5. taj

taj

If behaviour is a whole school problem how did they manage to come out of Special Measures?

6. Go in as you say like Sept 1st but do it all the time everywhere. Sort your class with rules, rewards and sanctions and every time you are out of class be it to go to photocopier, for lunch, assembly whatever be as stern as you can be. Pick up on everything- every whisper, every nudge, every poke etc.
    When I started my new job this year I was appalled on first day at how kids behaved and got away with it. I wasn't popular among some staff but I cracked down right away (no way was I gonna go through hell every day!) and within a couple of weeks my keystage were sorted and KS1 following suit for the most part. Now of course I've let up loads but the kids still behave and they love it. They love me (not being arrogant) because they were crying out for boundaries. School is the only place a lot of our kids get boundaries). Sometimes it is worth being "bad cop" so you can turn into "good cop" without losing control later.
    Stay strong- it may be tough now but you have opportunity to mould the school community to your way of doing things. A good opportunity to make your mark!

7. Thank you for your support Sparky. I know what you are saying and that is my usual style. However i am constantly undermined. I had the DH in last week to see how things are going - not observing you understand,and she told me i was part of the problem because i shouldn't pick up on every little thing. What she meant was i should ignore the child writing while i'm speaking and the fact that chn are swinging on chairs. to me that is unacceptable - can see where she is coming from when 80% of the class are doing the same but i find if i ignore it, it just grows until it's 100% and i can't hear myself think.
    OK i'm sounding like a moany old bag - but i'm not really [​IMG]
    i've always loved my job in the past, but this weekend has been the pits.
    Harsh but fair I thought that was a good alternative spelling [​IMG]

8. Can't answer that one - i wasn't there at the time and it is a complete mystery to me.