1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A random thought about genitically modified food

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Jul 31, 2012.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Could you imagine the day will come when they are able to grow vegetables that have the combined flavour of several others? Perhaps they could cross an Onion, a carrot some garlic, and some celery into a single vegetable, so there's only one thing to chop for your stews, gravies and sauces.
    Or bananas that taste like peaches as well as bananas?
    Would this be an advance or a step in the wrong direction, in your opinion?
    And if you feel it's a good thing to experiment with genetically modifying our food, what would you like to find being grown? And why?

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

As far as veg is concerned I don't think I like the idea because I like lots of different colours in my food. On the other hand, just having to buy one vegetable a week would mean much less wastage. I'm always finding furry stuff at the bottom of my fridge![​IMG]
    I definitely wouldn't like my fruit to have mixed flavours. To me, fruit is very special. There are so many yummy flavours. This is my favourite type of food (after chocolate)

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Bit late MM, chocloate flavoured carrots were produced a few years ago!! A big yuk to me!!

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Silly idea.

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I don't want one vegetable that will flavour my stew with the combined flavour of onion/carrot/celery/garlic!...I actually like combining flavours myself! I like to take a taste and think 'hmmm a bit more onion wouldn't go amiss!'
    And who decides what flavourings to develop in the 'soup' veg...I'm sure that if the Cookery regulars all made a 'simple' pot of veg soup...we'd all add different veg, herbs and spices! That's the beauty of cooking!
    I am enjoying the tail-end of the all too short broad bean season...yes it is a bit of a pfaff to pod the beans (sometmes double podding!) ...but ti is also therapeutic! I don't want to be given a tomato that tastes of broad bean - 'all the taste of broad beans... but now all you need to do is wipe and slice!'

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I want my children to grow up knowing that a carrot tastes like a carrot and not a carrot tasting like broccoli or something ridiculous like that. Why stop there though? Why not have spinach that tastes like sticky toffee pudding?!

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Although if there was such thing as an apple that tasted like crisps when I'd had a few gins or a banana that tasted like cheese on toast after several glasses of wine or a stick of celery that tasted like chips after a visit to the pub, I'd go for them for sure. I'd lose about a stone in a fortnight.
    [​IMG]

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

But would it necessarily have the same calorie content?!

9. BelleDuJour

I believe if enough alcohol is consumed, even a kebab tastes good. So, maybe you could drink enough to convince yourself celery does indeed taste like chips?
    Maybe not [​IMG]

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Sadly, the more alcohol you drink, the more unsatisfying a stick of celery becomes...unless accompanied by some excellent cheeses and more booze!

11. BelleDuJour

Indeed that is true. And when the port comes out you really are in trouble next day [​IMG]

12. I love chopping veg, so all the therapy would be gone for me if I only had one veg to chop.
    And what I combine depends on my moods and whims - so one veg that tastes of numerous things would be a mega disadvantage and one I would avoid.

13. BelleDuJour

......stock cube! [​IMG]

14. I can honestly say I do not use them!

15. BelleDuJour

But you get my drift!
    I keep a few in. Some can be ok but I don't use them routinely. The little knorr pots of jellied stock are quite good as is Maggi powder which so many of us on herekeep a pot of in the cupboard.
    When the little Belles were young and I wasn't working I always made stock, but now I only do so in the winter when the aga is on.