1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A quick finger foods question

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Keep Smiling!, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

Hi, my LO is 9 months and has 3 meals a day with pudding (homemade purees). She has very little finger foods which I know is my fault but I really want to start giving her some. She has started grabbing for her spoon and wanting to hold things in her hand and seems to look like she's chewing things. So I was wondering what things I could give her? If I give her slices of pear or apple, should it be cooked? Should I take the skin off? Also, when do you give them? A couple of times I've given her some toast after her breakfast and she has gagged then brought up all her porridge and her bottle so obviously want to avoid that! I'm happy for her still to have purees (although I know they need to be lumpier) but definitely want her to eat more normal food too! Any advice?

2. Keep Smiling!

Also, what size should the food be? Is it better to be in bite size pieces or bigger chunks that they can bit off?

3. Hi, I found a good size to be like a fat chip! But he also liked small things like raisins, cheerios.
    How about trying cooked carrot, or any roast veg (e.g. squash) in chip shapes, toast, banana, cucumber, melon, cheese, fish, <strike>baby crisps, biscuits, cake.</strike> My lo found meat a bit hard to bite off and chew til he had lots of teeth! I wouldn't give raw apple until she is a bit older but I never peeled anything and he would just spit out the skin.
    I'm not sure about the gagging, maybe just because she is not used to the texture?
    My lo would occasionally look like he was going to choke but unless they stop breathing you can let them sort it out themselves!!
    Have fun x

4. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

I give finger foods in baton shapes, like chips. My LO has allsorts (though we do finger feed all meals so is slightly different) - any kind of fruit or veg works well, as do breadsticks. She's not keen on toast, I tend to just give bread rather than toasting it. Baby sweetcorn are fab as they're brilliantly fingershaped!
    Apple I tend to peel as LO doesn't have many teeth and struggles with the skin. Ripe pear skins tend to be soft, so I leave them on. It's just trial and error really. I would prob pick something that she really likes in puree form - whether carrot sticks, pasta tubes, brocolli florets, banana sticks, whatever - so that it's a familiar flavour.
    As for the gagging, it's unfortunately a natural thing to happen - it's their protective mechanism to stop them choking, so it's actually reassuring to see that it works - though it's hard to see it like that at the time! Whenever LO starts, it's likely that they'll gag as they get used to chewing, moving pieces around their mouth, and how much they can put in their mouth at any one time. It's not dangerous and it won't hurt them. If they were to choke, it would be almost completely silent, where as gagging is noisy and usually accompanied by lots of spit! Try not to panic, and view it as part of the learning process - just keep a close eye. If they are gagging, count to 10 before intervening and they'll normally sort it out themselves. If you get to 10 and they're stull gagging, don't stick fingers in mouth to try and pull it out - will make it worse. Sit them forwards so they're leaning almost face down, and pat them firmly on the back. Will shift food back to front of mouth, and that's all they need.
    Try and enjoy it - it can be great fun once they get the hang of it!

5. Keep Smiling!

Thank you very much for the replies, I'm off to the shops this afternoon so think I'll start with some fruit as she loves that. She had toast mid morning today and managed fine. She is full of cold at the moment (and full of phlegm) so may wait a couple of days to try some things as she has a bad cough so is struggling with food anyway. I like the 10 seconds approach, I did a first aid course shortly after she was born but I still panic at the thought of anything happening but I know that's my issue! Can they have little sandwiches with soft cheese in the middle? And what about lumps of hard cheese?

6. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

Yep, soft cheese is fine on bread, and my LO loves batons of cheese. They melt in the mouth so are easy to eat but firm enough that they're easy for the lo to hold too. :)