1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A question i'd like some of your suggestions on:

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by 10089052, May 5, 2011.

1. 10089052

10089052 New commenter

"How would you try to get parents who are usually those who fail to attend meetings/do not seem interested in supporting their child once in school to take an interest/attend meetings?"

Apparently our head keeps asking this and i have interview for senco on wed... i have thought about the use of the vtle and parentmail etc, amongst a few other of the obvious ie celebrate the good things - letters home/praise phone calls etc, but would love some discussion on what people think are other ways of doing this. It will obviously be very important from a senco role point of view!

Thanks in advance! Claire.

2. 10089052

10089052 New commenter

"How would you try to get parents who are usually those who fail to attend meetings/do not seem interested in supporting their child once in school to take an interest/attend meetings?"

Apparently our head keeps asking this and i have interview for senco on wed... i have thought about the use of the vtle and parentmail etc, amongst a few other of the obvious ie celebrate the good things - letters home/praise phone calls etc, but would love some discussion on what people think are other ways of doing this. It will obviously be very important from a senco role point of view!

Thanks in advance! Claire.

3. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Awful as it sounds, you need to use the children. Set up a workshop/ session which you big up with the children and then if parents don't attend ,their child doesn't take part. This rule is specified and stuck to, right at the beginning. First few times, your hardline p[arents will try to call your bluff, but don't back down- in my experience of doing parent workshops for 15 years, they always give, usually reluctantly! in the end. Good luck.

4. 10089052

10089052 New commenter

that sounds great breadmaker. what sort of things do you runparent workshops on? what would you advise would be a good idea as a launch workshop ? Thanks for your reply! :)

5. we've found linking school appointments to short break care/medical meetings/reviews means that a lot of parents attend as they really want the short break care and only get it by attending their meetings!!! Sneaky but it worked to get some really reluctant parents onside!!!

6. sjw2007

sjw2007 New commenter

Things we have found successful at getting parents into school (not necessarily for appts) have been:
    parent and child workshops e.g make an easter bonnet / xmas dec etc where they withdraw children from lessons for half an hour / men in school day etc.
    phoning parents when they don't make appointment for consultations and asking them when they would like to come
    writing on reports if they attend consultation evening (also a useful record)

Good luck!