1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A question for the teaching community as we know it in schools.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by felltogroundinberkeleysquare, Sep 14, 2015.

1. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

PS. Son not a teacher - just a legend in his own lunchtime according to people who come up to him randomly in restaurants.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If a sacking took place then I suspect there is much more to this than meets the eye. You have heard but a very partial account.

There may have been no sacking at all.

All very fishy. Tell your son that, whatever the state of his friendship, even the very nicest people don't always tell the whole story.

3. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

I think you may be right, Grumpy, and it was indeed son who said he could be nasty to girls, hence the concern with daughter. Still, we knew the parents and they live in a 1.3 million pound house, and said offspring was privately educated in one of the more liberal private schools. I just wanted to know what advice to give son, and daughter since as you say things are not always how they seem.

4. grumpydogwoman

If he's rich then daughter should keep flogging him stuff. Unless he insists on posing in the nude whilst pleasuring himself or commissioning art to which she has a moral objection.

I'm afraid his social status carries no weight with me. Your son isn't going to get to hear the other side so just take it with a huge pinch of salt. Maybe it's all God's honest truth but maybe not.

And, if the chap is known to use girls badly, he'd be no friend of mine.

5. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

What advice do you think you should give? You know your children better than we do.

6. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

LOL Grumpy: all five foot ten of her would kick him up the jacksie!. She's been subjected to him since she was about 14. ( Not in that way, I hasten to add, just in the house).

No he has definitely been sacked, my son is one of the few he would have told. I just wonder what to advise the pair of my offspring what to say or do, or should I just phone the mummy, who you can only get to via her secretary at home???????????

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

From what you have posted my best guess would be that he promised the child that they could speak to him in confidence which is a breach of child protection guidelines. That is only a guess though. As others have said there may well be a lot more to the story.

I would suggest that your offspring focus their conversations with him on how to move forward. If he wants advice about the sacking he should speak to his union.

8. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

I find this all very confusing - as Bombay said, if he wants advice re sacking he should speak to his union.

If your daughter has had no problems with him she should continue accepting commissions - what sort of advice do you feel she needs? As far as I can gather she's a 5'10" adult, has known him for years and is capable of making up her own mind about the chap, no?

And why would you be phoning the Mummy about all this - they're all adults....?

Has your son actually asked for your help and advice or are you intervening, secretly enjoying the 'drama'?

Leave all parties to it. I'm quite sure your son, "legend in his own lunchtime", can cope.

9. grumpydogwoman

My advice is: leave it be. It's nothing to do with you except at about fifth hand. It may all be very intriguing and have aroused your curiosity but your son hasn't actually asked for your advice and can't need it as it isn't HIS employment issue.

10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I agree with your last statements GDW and cosmo... one piece of advice may be to think better of ever living with him, if whoever may ever consider it needs a DBS and has concerns over things that may affect his working with children and vulnerable adults; as I have heard that it may affect your credentials if you live with someone with a dubious track record in this respect. (I will stand corrected if I have misinterpreted what I heard).