1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A question (and a moan!)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lily_w, Nov 21, 2011.

1. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I know I'm not the only one but I've been feeling a bit down lately. I feel like my hope and positivity is slowly ebbing away. I spent the weekend feeling really depressed because I've seen most of my close friends on the PGCE get jobs immediately and subsequently ditch me. Not sure why but the feeling really hit me this weekend. I feel so out of the loop because they're constantly talking about school, their NQT year, observations etc. and they have stopped speaking to me because I have nothing to say. My PGCE graduation is in a few months but I doubt I'll even attend because I know what it will be like. Constant chat about their new school and how well they're getting on and it will make me feel even worse. I worked so hard on the course and I feel embarrassed that I haven't been able to secure a job while others seemed to have walked into one.
    I woke up to 2 new rejections this morning for maternity covers - one letter and one email. One of these particularly upset me as I had a car accident on the way to visiting one of them and ended up writing my car off. I phoned the school and explained and mentioned the situation in my application, explaining that I would have made the effort to visit, but they must have not taken this into account. I sent an executive summary and tailored my statement to the school but this did not work either. I can't afford a new car and I'm still upset about the whole situation as it has limited my ability to visit schools and attend interviews. It feels like one thing on top of another. However, on the bright side - I have a temporary Christmas job in a shop starting soon. It's not my dream job but it will get me off Jobseeker's and let me earn some money for a few weeks. :)
    I don't think it's my applications letting me down. I've had quite a few interviews since April (about 8) and I know I've been lucky as not very many jobs come up in my area. I get really good feedback but it's usually the same old story - lack of experience or they appoint someone who was there on placement. I try to stay positive but it's hard sometimes.
    Thanks for listening to me moan. Anyway, here is my question:
    I applied last school year (around May) for a maternity cover in KS1 at a local school. I visited and was shown around, thought I had made a good impression but was rejected - no letter or email, just didn't hear from them. There is now another job for KS1/2 - should I apply again? If so, should I mention that I visited last year and write what I liked about the school? I doubt I will be able to visit again due to the car/money situation.
    Thanks for any advice. Sorry to moan but I have been feeling down in the dumps recently.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well, if you don't at least try, you'll never know.
    Don't have any suggestions about visiting without a car, but recently I couldn't visit a school, explained my reason and did get an interview.
    Definitely mention your positive impression of the school on your previous visit-might explain why it's unnecessary to visit again?

3. OP- I know how you feel. I have several friends who have also either secured a job or are doing their training this year and they all seem to be really enjoying it (as I was this time last year). Well, almost everyone. One of my friends who's an NQT is actually finding it pretty tough and when I last saw him was considering resigning after Xmas (it made me a bit angry, as I know the school he's working in and it's not THAT bad, plus he has a job. A situation I am dying to be in).

Anyway, I think you should reapply to the school again. What have you got to lose? Someone I know had an interview somewhere and didn't get offered the job, but then they reapplied for a different post at the same school and he got it! He obviously adapted his letter of application and the school told him that they admired him for applying again so there you go.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, most certainly apply again.
    You are now in competition with different people, so your chances will not be the same as last time. And, yes, do tell them that you've visited and were pleased to see how much the school ethos reflected your own etc etc.
    Good luck there - and Interflora has just delivered some flowers for you on the Flowers thread.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Thank you very much for the flowers Theo! It's cheered me up a bit. Thanks for all your advice, I will definitely apply to this school and see what happens.

6. Slightly similar situation (backing up Theo's point):

(in Scotland, where local authorities are more involved than England, and schools are not 'self-governing')

I was interviewed and rejected for supply in a certain authority not too many months ago.

Last week for the same authority, in the same school, I had an interview for a long term temporary post (unsuccessful, sadly.)

And I have another interview at another school in the same authority this week.

It's not about judging us as not fit to teach, just selecting the best possible candidate on the day.

So, good luck, Lily_w!!

7. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Just replied to your post and then lost it , oh!
    I had a car accident on the way to visiting one of them and ended up writing my car off.
    The main thing is you're ok, but annoying about the car.
    I can't afford a new car and I'm still upset about the whole situation as it has limited my ability to visit schools and attend interviews. It feels like one thing on top of another.
    I had to sell my car recently, which was very annoying, but couldn't afford to keep and repair it. Could you go to any of these schools by public transport?
    on the bright side - I have a temporary Christmas job in a shop starting soon. It's not my dream job but it will get me off Jobseeker's and let me earn some money for a few weeks. :)
    That's brilliant news[​IMG]. I have yet again just had a rejection for a shop job!
    I've had quite a few interviews since April (about 8)
    Well done, really good news, you're obviously doing something right[​IMG]!
    Even better[​IMG]!
    To your question - I would apply. What have you got to lose?
    Sorry to moan but I have been feeling down in the dumps recently
    Don't worry about moaning, I seem to have been doing that a lot lately. Keep going[​IMG]
    This is the third time I will try and post - hope it works! x Ok 6th time, aarrggh x

8. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Welshchocoholic -thanks for posting despite the trouble, so annoying when you write a post and lose it! I'm feeling a bit more positive today. I live in an area where public transport isn't great and some areas are a pain to reach but I've been taking the train to visit schools whenever possible. I've had to limit my visits to schools I really like though - train fares add up. I am hoping my temp job will help me financially over the Christmas period though. Oh well, onwards and upwards :)

9. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I was literally in your situation til a week ago - all my friends had jobs, I felt like I was the only one without, getting very little supply etc. Applied for around 30 jobs in total, was hardly getting any interviews etc and was feeling seriously depressed. However I kept on it, and have now got a job. I'm not saying this to boast, but to say what a difference a week makes. Also, I found I did amazing applications for some schools and didn't hear a thing, yet schools where I thought my application was not so good I did get an interview. The number of interviews I got since I started doing executive summaries was 3, out of 4 or 5 applications - rather than 2 interviews from about 25 applications without!! In fact, the school I actually got my job in I put the wrong school name in the letter of application!!! I literally couldn't believe it when I got the interview letter through, let alone the job.
    Keep at it. Definitely apply for that job, and say in your letter why you can't go visit, but that you've been before. Don't just say you've been, say what you liked and how that fits with your view of teaching, e.g. mixed age classes, lots of outdoor learning, big on sport/music/arts or whatever. Use their website and OfSTED too.
    Good luck :)