1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A question about KS1 levels

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Sep 12, 2012.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

What would a child who got 2c in maths at the end of year 1 (from an old test paper at school) be expected to get by the end of year 2? OK so it's how long is a piece of string, but what would you expect to be working towards by the end of the year if you were doing some forward planning now?

2. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

If I was target setting for a Year 2 class I would say certainly put a 2a but you could aim for a 3 but my previous head treats a KS1 3 as a 3b so that would show exceptional progress....heads do like 3's though! Only you know your head and how aspirational they expect targets to be!
    What did child's APP say for year 1?

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

From one test paper I would assume nothing, preferring to go by ongoing assessment. If a child came to me on a 2c i'd really be expecting them to leave a Level 3c, though as the previous poster says, a 3 has to be a secure 3 and low 3's are reported as 2a.

4. mystery10

I presume you mean in KS1.
    That would make sense. If it were 2 sublevels progress a child that came into year 1 on 1c would be 2b at the end of year 2. So an above average child would become an average child?
    Or is 1c not above average for the start of year 1?
    It's all so confusing as there doesn't seem to be a starting point!!
    What I'm really wanting to know though is: if you had a group of 2c children at the start of year 2 would you be planning work to get them into the 3s by the end of year 2, or to get them a high 2?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Depends on lots of things. In my school their target would be a 3c, but this may be negotiated down if I didn't really feel they were secure at a 2c. So a 2a may well be their target.

Though at this point in the year I would definitely be teaching level 2 work to them...they are only showing a very few elements of level 2 to be a 2c, so need to learn the rest before moving on to 3.

6. mystery10

Yes sure. So would it be fair to say that if you were going to give them a chance of getting to a 3 you would presumably be planning on a pace which would enable you to move to level 3 material in time with those that could?

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not necessarily, depends on the children...I assume you are having issues with teaching in your child's school? The teacher there will know the children, know the school, know the expectations, know what's best. Leave them to it.