1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

A question about a mental health issue...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon3279, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Hello.
    Just wondering if there's anyone out there in Tesland with any words of wisdom or able to give me some insight.
    To cut a very long story short, I have to interact daily with someone who has a mental health condition. They see their psychiatrist regularly and are on heavy duty meds but they are very erratic in their behaviour (both to me, my colleagues and the students). We're all trying to be as supportive as we possibly can and help whenever we can. However, we have had all manner of shouting matches, door slamming, refusal to do work, rudeness, inappropriate behaviours and so on and are a bit confused about how we should react.
    So far, we haven't actually said or done anything other than pointing out, once, that the person was dreadfully rude in a meeting and that we were a bit shocked. We did this is a gentle way and asked if there was anything wrong. Obviously, we tried to do this in a non-patronising way.
    Now, after almost a whole academic year of this our nerves are completely frayed and we're all showing signs and symptoms of stress from feeling like we're treading on eggshells all the time. We've been very conscious of the DDA and our need to be understanding so haven't let our frustrastions show but we're right at the point of something snapping[​IMG] - there are 12 of us in this state although some work more closely with the person than others.
    So, given that this person can't actually help being the way they are and seems blissfully unaware of the effect it's having on people around them, do we say anything? Or perhaps get someone else to say something? It's really not tenable to continue in this way and we'd rather not have bad feeling between any of us.
    I don't want to be mean, btw, but I do need to make sure that my students get through their courses so do have to do a bit of challenging at some point in order to get their work marked etc.

2. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

I can't believe what I've just been reading on this thread. One person who is incapable of doing their job because of clearly severe mental health problems is disadvantaging a whole team of teachers and students and this is actually being ALLOWED to happen! It is no one's fault that they are ill but if they are unfit to do their job then they can't keep it. Simple as that. What idoitic notion of fairness has led to this person having the right to destabilise the lives of so many others?

3. Glad to hear that you are almost at a solution. Your colleague will have time to deal with their mental health issues and get better hopefully, while you and your team are able to get on with your work without fear of upsetting them.
    [​IMG]