1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A quarter of all individual grades submitted by teachers in Scotland are changed.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Aug 4, 2020.

1. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

In England at least, we were instructed to not share anything with students prior to results day. Some schools have clearly gone against this as, according to a thread in coronavirus news, some universities have had contact with pupils who have been told their grades.

There will be grades awarded that will be lower than expected (and in some cases higher) but the process in England is more robust in terms of cohort data so any changes to grades would be more justifiable.

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Yes I thought so, even more grade inflation.

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

And now all students in England get a choice of their mock grade or their final grade. As we are aware of at least one student who had seen his mock paper in at least two of his exams, he will now get 2 very inflated grades in science

4. offhegoes

offhegoes New commenter

I have to disagree with the inference of ‘inflating estimates’ and the idea that some schools didn’t play by the rules. I’m not going to say no schools did these things, but the increased pass rates don’t imply those things on their own.

In terms of increased pass rates, that is an inevitable consequence of being asked to give estimates that will potentially determine final grades. In 50-50 situations giving the benefit of the doubt is the only ethical choice.

In terms of ‘playing by the rules’, it was not explicitly clear that grades should be moderated to fit previous results. We were told to use available evidence along with a holistic view and professional judgement, together with an analysis of previous predictions versus final grades. Doing all that inevitably many schools will have ended up with results much improved on previous years.

At that point estimates have been derived on a pupil-by-pupil basis and any further changes could only be a consequence of tying results to previous years, which is a contentious topic and something many schools felt should be left to the SQA to do as part of their side of the moderation process.

Some schools of course probably did see it as their job to closely match pass rates to previous years and it is unfortunate that some pupils will be disadvantaged by this. The SQA needed to be clearer from the start about exactly what schools should and should not do.

bugsysmum likes this.
  5. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

The latest announcement that mock results should be used demonstrates the gross incompetence of BOJO's cabinet. Mock is mock, and not the real thing. In my experience, because as at the time mocks took place, not all contents were covered, mocks don't always feature all components of examinations in every subject. For instance in my own subject, my students only sat papers 1 and 2 not paper 3 because we had a lot of grounds to cover at that point in time. Does it make sense to award them grades based on aspects rather than on the entire contents of the syllabus? Besides, as at the time schools closed in March, most schools offering GCSEs in 2 rather than 3 years wouldn't have finished course contents in some subjects.

It's high time decisions about education in this country are made only after due consultations with stakehokders, not by clueless Etonians who are out of touch with societal realities.

6. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Or the exams are a poor reflection of student achievement and it's the teacher assessments that are accurate. I suspect that the truth is somewhere in between.