1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A quarter of all individual grades submitted by teachers in Scotland are changed.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Aug 4, 2020.

1. gainly

gainly Star commenter

If that does happen I wonder if grades will stay permanently 10% inflated. I can imagine another outcry next year whatever happens.

2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

That's why it would need to be emphasised that it was a 'one off' with no links to league tables etc.

tenpast7 and catmother like this.
  3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

A massive uplift would be unfair for two reasons - it would be unfair to students in future and past cohorts by devaluing their grades and it could be unfair to students who would have achieved high grades as there will always be an asterisk next to 2020 grades

nervousned and tenpast7 like this.
  4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

If people are inclined to think this way,they will do so anyway.

As for the pupils involved,they have the rest of their life to make their way and do well or not do well. Let's say someone applies to medical school because they got an "A" rather than a "B",I would think that there would still many obstacles before they actually get admitted to the course and become a doctor. If they can make it,the "should have been a B issue" will barely be relevant.

5. Compassman

I am in that very situation with my son (although dentistry rather than medicine). He has done the UCAT test and also had to do interviews and now has offers from two universities. He is obviously concerned about what is going to happen this Thursday if he doesn't get the grades done by prediction and then 'adjusted'. Surely just give him the predicted grade and then if he doesn't cut the mustard in his first year then he will have to rethink his options?

catmother likes this.
  6. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

I had a student in a similar position to your son regarding interviews etc. Nice lad but I was stunned he got an offer for medicine. This was not just my opinon , his chemistry and Maths teachers also felt he would not get the grades he needed. I predicted a B grade for UCAS ( which I thought was on the generous side) but the head of sixth form changed it to an A grade Xmas mock, D grade, unit tests C/D. I understand his performance was similar in chemistry. When it came to predicting grades for this summer I dicussed all my students grades with a colleague who co taught the class and we agreed the best case senario for this young man was a C.It would be doing him no favours to let him start a medical degree. I am sure he and his parents will be upset and will appeal.

7. Compassman

Scotland has upgraded the scores to that predicted by the teachers. I think England, Wales and Northern Ireland could not possibly ignore this without a massive outcry.

strawbs and Jamvic like this.
  8. Compassman

Deleted (duplicate message)

9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

The right decision imo.

Sally006 and Compassman like this.
  10. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

11. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Will the schools get a refund on the "exam" fees as the SQA have had no input into the results now? I suspect this will result in a permanent inflation of grades. I wonder what will happen in England now.

12. Compassman

I think England (and Wales and NI) have to follow suit. After all if these students are shafted they will be out protesting and of course they are the voters of the future......

13. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

Will the Tories follow the SNP? Unsure about that. However, time will tell!

14. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Aergrorat certificates. These exams should have been postponed and start dates for colleges/universities adjusted accordingly. We have all seen students achieving lower or higher than they have been predicted. Anything short of making students take the exams is a massive scam. Period.

bessiesmith2 and gainly like this.
  15. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

It's all a mess. It appears that many teachers/schools inflated their grades, we now have a situation where schools that played to the rules and ensured their grades were in line with previous years are going to be wishing they too had inflated their estimates

16. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

I’m faced with a similar situation and my proposed response if asked/questioned would be “if you’re unhappy with the result, go and prepare for the winter exams. No further comments.”

ScienceGuy likes this.
  17. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster Occasional commenter

From a pure fairness point of view I think the grades should be moderated, but from the point of view that there are more important things to worry about right now than some students getting better grades than they should I don’t really mind. Even though as a school we were very strict on our grades to keep them in line with previous years, its not like i feel if they do the same in England its unfair that others will have got away with more; our students will have got what we thought was fair and that’s that. Whether the fee paying parents will feel the same way however..

steely1 likes this.
  18. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I agree, they rushed into cancelling exams without thinking things through. However it's too late now.

DrJay likes this.
  19. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I've been wondering how students knew they'd been downgraded. I'm sure schools weren't meant to tell them the predicted grade. It now puts all the blame on the teacher if students aren't happy with the grade.

What will happen to the small number of students who had their grades raised? Will they be reduced in line with their predicted grades?

20. Compassman

Raised grades remain raised.