1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A pyramid is not a prism

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by briceanus, Dec 19, 2010.

1. For a minute there DM, that read like a bgy1mm post.
    But there were two crucial differences:
    1. It wasn't complete tripe.
    2. It was correct.
    Perhaps we should send this to them as an exemplar post?

2. DM

DM New commenter

I apologise for my momentary lack of irreverence. My normal cynical and facetious service will resume shortly.

3. I must be slowing in my old age...or just reading too many posts from wee-bygm1-cka et al
    Im not sure that many of my peers outside of education would differentiate between the two but that could be the group I associate/have to associate with.
    I certainly cannot remember any keys on a piano or keyboard from music and have forgotten the more subtle parts of most subjects.
    I dislike peoples eagerness to tell you how 'awful they are' at maths followed by a chuckle as if its something to be shunned....that would annoy me

4. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

I do! (although it does depend on the units you choose to use, I suppose ...)

5. well- i guffawed out loud at this post s-a
    unfortunately, master and miss post asked what i was laughing at
    i mean - where do i start? [​IMG]

6. i have diverted them from an explanation by cutting to the original issue - miss post is strictly a humanities girl and she thinks it's ridiculous not to know the difference betweena pyramid and a prism
    the great prism of giza, for example
    oh - and wrt pedantry - anyone else obsessed with 'less' and fewer'?

7. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Me! And my Yr 11 class, now.

8. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

This seems entirely sensible for Y2 pupils.
    Apparently the official definition of a prism is that the "ends" need to be polygons, which means that a cylinder is not, technically, a prism. The formula sheets for GCSE exams include a dodgy picture and there doesn't seem to be any particular problem with including or not a cylinder in the definition of a prism.
    I like the idea that the cross-section of a prism is the same all the way along the shape, whereas in the pyramid it is always similar (same shape but different size).

9. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Yeah - but Americans can't even get that one right!
    Trapezoid? Sounds like something from Robot Wars. [I only found out recently that the Trapezium Rule becomes the 'Trapezoidal Rule' when you cross the Atlantic.]
    Even loopier, though, than giving a different name to the shape we call a trapezium, is then reusing the word 'trapezium' to mean something different (namely a quadrilateral with <u>no</u> parallel sides - a kind of 'scalene quadrilateral' if you like).

10. DM

DM New commenter

Don't you mean a "quadrangle" with no parallel sides Naz?
    [​IMG]

11. lol - but i do advise my kids not to use the word 'trapezoid' for exctly those reasons
    but i do love 'isosceles trapezium' - do you remember way back when books/worksheets would call it a 'regular trapezium' - soooo irritating and wrong - or was that another idiocy only inflicted on ks1/2 kids?