1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A psychotherapist explains...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Scintillant, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

She doesn't 'explain it'. Firstly, she uncritically states that adults (implying with no evidence given at all that it is many or even most adults) are against young climate change activists. And then she gives her opinion add to why this is.

Laphroig and needabreak like this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Perhaps some adults are reacting to disruption to the transport networks that cause them challenges getting to work to earn a crust to keep a roof over their and their families head, as well as disruption that causes uneccesary costs and use of services such as police, alternative transport and business as well as the tax revenues associated with those industries that pay for the education of the majority of young people and infrastructure, as an adult I'm still not sure what solution is being requested... do "something" isn't enough if the "something" isn't specific, achievable, measurable and time constrained.

bevdex, Laphroig, towncryer and 4 others like this.
  4. Scintillant

Yeah, maybe. However, your comment and those adults' reactions are nothing to do with Ms Thunberg. Extinction Rebellion are carrying out the actions, not Ms Thunberg. She's just recommending we listen to the science and act accordingly.

If you want to do "something", burn less carbon. It's not rocket science.

blackberryblossom likes this.
  5. viceroy

viceroy Occasional commenter

Disclosure statement
    Caroline Hickman is affiliated with The Climate Psychology Alliance.

xmal, artboyusa and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

People are bound to react badly to something that disrupts their own lives. It doesn't take a shrink to work that one out.

7. viceroy

viceroy Occasional commenter

Intelligent people are likely to react badly to hysteria.

xmal and needabreak like this.
  8. needabreak

I don't want to do "something", I do all I reasonably can as an individual and as an adult, we have been here before. If the group want to do something they might like to make clear how they want government and business to "act accordingly" within the remit I formerly mentioned and it may well be rocket science which is why it is so important to be clear.

towncryer likes this.
  9. George_Randle

George_Randle Occasional commenter

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/10/14/extinction-rebellions-war-on-the-working-class/

And who do these poshos target? The working-class men of Smithfield meat market. The working families of Billingsgate fish market. And the good people of London just trying to get to work or to jet off on a much-needed break from the vagaries of life in capitalist society. These plummy millenarians can use all the pseudo-progressive language they like – the rest of us know that the XR uprising is class war waged by eco-elites against the apparently unenlightened little people...

A little further down the aristocratic scale there is Tamsin Omond, the granddaughter of a baronet. She’s a former member of the implacably snobby anti-flying group Plane Stupid, whose website once denounced the ‘enormous growth in binge-flying’ and in particular the ‘proliferation of stag and hen nights to Eastern European destinations chosen not for their architecture or culture but because people can fly there for 99p and get loaded for a tenner’. Eurgh, those frightful oiks travelling around the world, how grotesque.

O'Neill is right to emphasise the class aspect of XR, but it's ironic that a movement which claims to be founded on science shows so many of the aspects of a religious cult.

Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.

10. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

Although I disapprove of the methods adopted by Extinction Rebellion, the message and the science behind it does give me cause for concern.

Meanwhile, the weird cult of boring, superannuated old blokes like Clarkson denouncing Thunberg and the movement is easily explicable in terms of Terror Management Theory.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

China is developing 260 gigawatts of coal fuelled electrical production. That is additional to the roughly 1000 gigawatts of coal electrical production they presently have.

The UK in total produces 85 gigawatts. We could turn off every electrical device in the UK and not make a dent.

Yet saying this is deemed unacceptable to the zealots.

Cue someone blathering about 'per capita'... UK is behind China 'per capita'.

12. Scintillant

I have already pointed you towards world leading climate scientist Michael Mann's comments on China.

Apparently you haven't seen or listened to them.

So let's try again
    https://news.grabien.com/story-michael-mann-china-doing-way-more-we-are-climate-change

To do nothing, because "China", is just wrong headed.

Plenty of those around these parts

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  13. needabreak

The science behind it has given me concern for over 30 years but what exactly do they want done by the UK government and businesses?

towncryer likes this.
  14. Scintillant

These are from Professor Anderson, who knows as much about carbon budgets as anyone:
    [​IMG]

We need to push for such changes from our MPs and discuss and recommend such actions to our friends, family and work colleagues.

15. Scintillant

I know it's pointless...

but can you provide some examples of zealots deeming the above as unacceptable?

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Any zealot can wheel out a professional zealot to back their ideas up. Some zealots even harp on more than one string.
    It's easy to flush a zealot out on here. The B word or the E word and BOUF! Like a genie from a lamp! I find "Corbyn" quite a good one too.

bevdex, towncryer and monicabilongame like this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D

needabreak likes this.
  18. needabreak

Is he a representative of extinction Rebellion? If he is then age clearly is not the defining factor. In any case he is only highlighting a potential failure to achieve what was already agreed as part of the European climate change agreement which we knew we would fail to reach prior to 2016 (interesting time line perhaps)... Nothing new here I fear... So my point remains about the pressure group not being unique (on another thread and again here) and them not being specific about "their aims"... Presenting me with other people's aims or our likely failed aims does little if anything to explain what they actually want.

I would add that compared to some other nations nay continents we have seen much progress by it even being placed on the agenda and monitoring progress or lack of it, so perhaps the protest venue in the UK is somewhat misplaced, as others have indicated... Namely Ian.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    towncryer likes this.
  19. Scintillant

It is not misplaced. To again try to use China as a reason to take less action, is to misunderstand the situation. As Michael Mann states clearly, China are doing a huge amount, while we have caused the problem the planet is already facing.

Mr Anderson supports XR, but as a world leading expert in carbon budgets, his comments carry much more weight and describe what needs to be done very clearly. Don't worry about XR, promote Mr Anderson's recommendations as often as you can..XR are asking that politicians act on the science. That is good policy.

XR's aims are:
    1. Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
    2. Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net-zero by 2025.[17]
    3. Government must create, and be led by the decisions of, a citizens' assembly on climate and ecological justice.
    Seems good sense to me.

20. needabreak

That is not what I was doing, I was once again pointing out that these ideas are not new and in fact drawn from our own somewhat lapsed agreement, an agreement I might add made by adults for the future of all, thus once again the age divide the group/your link claims is a null hypothesis.

For the record I don't like nor approve of and will not support artificial divisions in society to prove an unrelated point, or indeed scapegoat sections of society, its tantamount to inflammatory bullying, clearly I'm not alone and I'm no middle classed white man or even a climate change denier.

towncryer likes this.