1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A 'Professional Conversation'

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by c0ldplay, May 13, 2020.

1. c0ldplay

c0ldplay New commenter

Later this week I am taking part in a 'professional conversation' rather than a formal interview. Hopefully, it will lead to a job offer. I would like to hear if anyone has any experience of this and where it will differ in comparison to a formal interview. Thank you.

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

I haven’t had any experience of this myself so could be totally wrong but it sounds to me that it will have all the questions of an interview without any of the teaching element, perhaps so they can offer you something probationary?

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

LOLOLOL
    All the 'professional conversations' I've ever been invited to have involved an informal telling off for something or other.
    If you are hoping for a job offer, I'm guessing it won't be that.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. c0ldplay

c0ldplay New commenter

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just prepare as for an interview, and cross your fingers that this just means that it is more informal and relaxed.

Best wishes and good luck!

6. install

install Star commenter

Sorry, I wouldn’t be happy with this approach and would postpone immediately.

For me frankly, I smell a rat or a even a sense of being ‘baited’ .It is anything but ‘professional’ imho if it really is for a job and being done ‘by the book’. Don’t be tempted by wheelers and dealers in teaching is my advice.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

Are you serious?
    This could be that the head knows the OP already and just wants a chat before offering. Or that they know of them and want to meet them before offering a post.
    Or that the school aren't able to sort out formal interviews and are calling this a 'professional conversation' in order to show the difference between a zoom chat and a full on panel in an office.

Pomza, drvs and Rott Weiler like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

How do you teach lessons with no kids ?

I've had one of these - years ago.

They offered me a job.

Pomza likes this.
  9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Is this in your current school or a different school?

I suppose if it's your current school it could be a rather unwelcome chat about something the head thibks you've done wrong. But if in a new school obviously couldn't be that.

If a different school I'd think it's something along the lines CTB suggests in post #7. Get prepared as if it were a formal interview and see what happens as Theo suggests. What have you got to lose!

EDIT just noticed you posted this on Wednesday so it's probably already taken place. What did it turn out to be @Owleyes00 ?

Pomza likes this.
  10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

In any school in which I have worked, 'professional conversation' was a management euphemism for a bollocking. If it is an informal interview for a job, why not call it that?

meggyd, TheoGriff and steely1 like this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

That's (more or less) what I said!

drvs, Jolly_Roger15 and TheoGriff like this.
  12. c0ldplay

c0ldplay New commenter

It was nearest to what Owleyes00 said. "All the questions of an interview and none of the teaching part". Anyway, to cut a long story short I was offered a full time teaching position starting in September.:)

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent!

Well done. You have clearly shown yourself to be a true professional!

Keep safe, everyone

Pomza likes this.
  14. caterpillartobutterfly

I'm a permanently outstanding teacher when there are no children to derail my perfectly planned lesson! :D:p:D

Brilliant news. Well done you.

TheoGriff likes this.