1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A positive supply experience!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jader123, Jul 19, 2011.

1. After reading the threads on here, I was VERY worried about starting supply. I have done one half day back in June but because it was in my final placement school it didn't see scary as knew the class, knew staff etc! However, this morning I had a phonecall at 11.15am asking me to do supply for the afternoon from an agency I recently signed up too. Ohmygod I was sooo terrified and worried.... but I shouldn't have been!! The school was so kind and lovely, gave me the supply handbook, shown me round, helped me sort out the IWB, speakers etc and everyone kept asking me if I had everything I needed etc. It was such a fab experience... espeically when I thought I'd be thrown in the classroom, not spoken to and just have to find my way. They were very noisy but hey ho it is the end of term/year!

Just thought I would share my enjoyable supply experience... so far so good although I know all won't be like this! Ha!

2. After reading the threads on here, I was VERY worried about starting supply. I have done one half day back in June but because it was in my final placement school it didn't see scary as knew the class, knew staff etc! However, this morning I had a phonecall at 11.15am asking me to do supply for the afternoon from an agency I recently signed up too. Ohmygod I was sooo terrified and worried.... but I shouldn't have been!! The school was so kind and lovely, gave me the supply handbook, shown me round, helped me sort out the IWB, speakers etc and everyone kept asking me if I had everything I needed etc. It was such a fab experience... espeically when I thought I'd be thrown in the classroom, not spoken to and just have to find my way. They were very noisy but hey ho it is the end of term/year!

Just thought I would share my enjoyable supply experience... so far so good although I know all won't be like this! Ha!

3. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Most of my supply experiences have been positive. You can get the impression on here that it's all bad but it's not!

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I have found the same, but the "Horror Hell Holes [​IMG]" make better stories.

5. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

Ditto to you all. My experiences working as a supply has been absolutely fantastic. Today at "work" the chldren cooked, watched a video, played board games and made comic strips. My work life has never been better than the last two years since I started supply. Have a lovely summer everyone. I am off on my hols to Florida at the weekend and I cannot wait to get caught up in that surreal world of cartoon characters! xxx

6. jj80

jj80 New commenter

it is refreshing to hear that some supply do have a great experience. maybe its cause I live and work around London?? and enjoy Florida, thats where Im from, but watch out for that scorching summer heat and humidity!! [​IMG]

7. You are very lucky. Many supply, such as myself, have had no work all year, are claiming benefit just to pay the bills. We do not have the money for any holidays.
    But still enjoy yours.

8. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

The thing about texting etc is that you can't judge the messages
    intonation so I am not sure if this is a cynical reply to my message. If
    it is, here is my response. I have always said from day 1 on this site
    that I work everyday as a day to day supply (admittedly not today) but
    the overwhelming majority ot the time, I work 5 days a week. I have
    also always said i KNOW I am lucky to do so and on numerous threads I
    have wished you all the same . This is my experience and I hand on
    heart could honestly give you another 5 supplies (at least) I personally
    know who have exactly the same experience, yet you would never believe
    that if you were a teacher looking into supply as an option, and only
    ever doing your research on this particular site. I work hard for my
    money and I am not ashamed to use it for my holiday. I can only
    sympathise with those of you who are not in the same boat - I truely
    wish you were. If no offense was intended, then I apologise
    wholeheartedly. However, whatever the intention, this thread was meant
    to be a positive one and no offence, but there are so many many threads
    on here which rightly reflects the bad experiences of many supplies that
    highlighting the good things that are happening to some of us is not
    asking too much.
    To the orignal poster, I am so sorry if I have caused you offence by posting this reply, but I felt I had a right to reply.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Every day of Supply has been better than I originally thought it would be when I started. Most of it's been fairly straightforward and some of it's been a positive delight, depending upon how much the HoD is prepared to delegate.

The bad days I have are usually the result of poor quality cover work - kids are just kids when it comes down to it.

10. Not having a go at you Jane, just stating the facts. Yes it does depend on the area you are in, but looking at the threads it would appear that there are more areas with no work that with work. I maybe wrong.

11. jj80

jj80 New commenter

agreed!

12. Yea it has alot to do with the area but I agree with it seeming like many areas are lacking supply work, which is a shame! Yeah I was hoping this would be a positive thread lol as I really enjoyed the supply afternoon I done and wanted to share and hear of others positive experiences. Hell yeah, I would deffo go on holiday if I had the money, like you said, it's well earned and deserved! :)

13. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

Thank you for responding, Downandnearlyout. Yes, you are right - it is largely to do with area. I cover the biggest LEA in the country ( or so I once read somewhere) so it makes sense that ours would be more plentiful. I really hope things will start to pick up for you all ASAP.

14. Could you tell us what area you are. I am in Kent.

15. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

Broadly, West Midlands - Birmingham, Worcestershire, Warwick, Walsall etc

16. Thanks jane.

17. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

<u>"A positive supply experience!"</u>
    I've just come home having done a 7 week supply cover & despite it being the last day my Year 8 class were wonderful. They haven't always been, so today was an extra treat as they did themselves & me proud. I got flowers from team members to thank me for 'stepping into the breach' abut for me the most important factor was that I really got on well with my class. Now that's why we do this job!

18. Hi D&O,

I'm in Kent and been doing supply since xmas...|I've had plenty of work and found myself turning down days...

19. It depends on what part of Kent. I'm in East Kent.

20. I have relatives in Canterbury, the grand-daughter of whom graduated from Christ Church last year. The job situation east of Herne Bay is dire, so I understand.