1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

a plea......

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by bananahammock, Feb 24, 2011.

1. I am teaching media studies for the first time and there seems to be a real lack of resources out there - I have uploaded some of the resources I have made on here but even on this website there is only one resource for TV drama! Can anyone suggest other places to look for free resources? Or maybe upload some of their resources on here .......?
    I would be really grateful and I'm sure lots of other people would be as well.
    Thank you

2. I am teaching media studies for the first time and there seems to be a real lack of resources out there - I have uploaded some of the resources I have made on here but even on this website there is only one resource for TV drama! Can anyone suggest other places to look for free resources? Or maybe upload some of their resources on here .......?
    I would be really grateful and I'm sure lots of other people would be as well.
    Thank you

3. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

I don't want to be harsh, but why are you expecting free resources? There are plenty of Media Studies resources "out there", but you may have to pay a little for them (a subscription, for example). Good quality resources rarely come for free, in my experience.
    Try this site - TES, try teachit and try mediaedu - plenty of Media Studies resources, but not for free, sorry.
    The other way is to depend upon the kindness of strangers...

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've always found my brain quite handy.

5. Hi
    Absolutely the best advice I can offer is develop your own content based around your knowledge/expertise and the context of the school you're working in. I've developed a unique curriculum at the school I'm at currently and every year improve it by looking at what I want the students to achieve and where it might take them - this is very much a contextual thing that generic resources (often made by English teachers - haha, though id get that one in there! LOL) are no subsitute for.
    The other option is to learn something new. I'm art trained and teach media from this perspective, but until about 3 years ago I knew very little about 3D animation for example but through a lot of hard work have become quite proficient in modelling and all aspects of animation using Blender (including a lot of 2d too). Everyone posts on here wanting resources but people are reluctant to share for some reason! For a few ideas please check out my website at http://swanwickhallmedia.weebly.com , it has got a lot in the way of resources yet (students are wanting to post there own tutorials on there - ie how to chromakey) but it might be a starting point for inspiration.
    Doug

6. damn...I knew I should have previewed first!! [​IMG] that should have read hasn't got a lot

7. um, yes, free resources is exsctly what I wanted. I have used my own brain and shared my resources on here and was simply asking if people might do the same. Not really unreasonable....

8. I hope that wasn't aimed at me! [​IMG]

9. I also use my own brain, however I feel that I can add value to my resources by looking at others for extra inspiration. I feel that the TES website and forums should be for teachers to share good practice and advice, but sometimes there is an air of negativity in some of the responses. Not sure why, I am an NQT and you have to start somewhere.
    Mediaedu is great and worth paying for.
    The Auteur books are helpful too, http://www.auteur.co.uk/index.php?main_section=28&textentryid=291
    I have found this website useful http://brianair.wordpress.com/
    And I stumbled across your website yesterday Doug!

10. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

The problem is that many of us have built up years of resources - far too much, in different formats, sometimes just scribbled notes, to just upload wholesale.
    When people post with specific requests then there are usually many on here willing to help and generous with sharing specific resources, (although occasionally there is a little resentment when posters don't seem to have made any effort to think about their own way into a subject area, but would prefer to get others to do all the work).