1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A plea for a mate

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Apr 6, 2012.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Hiya,
    I've a friend who's having all sorts of trouble with her diet; she's allergic to something and doesn't know what. She is on a controlled exclusion diet whilst they run tests to figure out what it could be.
    She's finding it hard to find inspiration to cook interesting meals, so I was wondering what you clever lot might be able to think of. It's probably best if I post the message she posted on facebook:

"A plea. I'm on a pretty strict exclusion diet by way of excluding allergens and intolerances and I'm in need of inspiration. I'm limited to potatoes, carrots, fish, meat and eggs and although I love a challenge, after a few days I'm running out of ideas. I've done potato croquettes with various fillings (as long as they're meat and fish), tortilla, eggs in various guises, the basic steaks and spuds... And that's where I'm all out of ideas. I tried a chicken and chorizo stew thing but the chorizo made me all rashy and it turns out I'm only allowed fresh meat, which limits me even further.Can anyone suggest a combination of the allowed ingredients that will help me to attempt the three months I'm supposed to stick to this thing?"

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've already suggested carrot fritters made with grated spuds and bound with egg; roast chicken stuffed with crushed potatoes and whole fish baked with sliced potatoes.
    She's allowed a small amount of sunflower oil but no other fat and can season with salt but not pepper (nor any other kind of spice).
    Poor bugger, eh? Sounds really hard, doesn't it?

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

OMG. Your poor friend. I couldn't survive without spices for long. It's one of the reasons my MIl and I couldn't see eye-to-eye on food. She's macrobiotic and beleves food should have no spices or herbs. And that everything should be brown and steamed. Yick.
    Anyway, I really don't have many ideas here- maybe chicken broth? Nope- just re read and she's not allowed any veg except carrots and no pulses. Seriously, I think I'd rather be rashy!
    Well, there endeth my incredibly unhelpful post. Sorry.

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Is she really limited to carrots and potatoes by way of veg, or are they the only veg she likes?

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

She really is limited to carrots and spuds. I suppose until they rule out other potential allergens, at least.
    She'd rather be able to eat a full range of fruit and veg and no meat - as would I in these circumstances.
    She's an intelligent woman who loves a full range of food normally. There's nothing psychosomatic or dreamed up about any of this.

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Yipes! 3 months - hopefully they will be reintroducing a few things during this period! (A few basics....little black pepper...some garlic..onions,,,.tomatoes...chocolate!)
    Burgers? Maybe mince the beef herself, pinch of salt, bind with egg.
    Some sort of shepherdy pie - mince and carrots topped with mash.
    I do a potato and courgette tortilla...I'm guessing carrots might work instead of the courgettes....just chop some boiled potatoes ad to a frying pan with some finely chopped <strike>courgettes</strike> carrots and fry in a little oil...pour over a couple of beaten eggs and cook for a few minutes to set the base....pop the whole pan under the grill for a few minutes to cook the top.
    How about grated potato cakes?...although I would ideally want onions in mine!
    I would also ask my nutrionist if 'exotic' potatoes are allowed or only 'Irish' potatoes...sweet potatoes...eddo...yam...anything for a little permitted variety!

7. Fishcakes without breadcrumbs, or you could crush up some of the crisps that I have suggested below to coat them.
    Beefburgers
    slow roasted beef (slow cooker), add a bit of salt and some carrots and use the juices as gravy along with roasted potatoes and carrots.
    Chicken burgers with chunky wedges chips (done in the oven with a bit of oil)
    Finely slice potatoes and carrots, bake and add a little salt. I would use the spray oil then you won't be using much oil.
    http://cookit.e2bn.org/recipes/1544-baked-vegetable-crisps.html
    Use the crust from this recipe http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2009/08/veggie-quiche-with-potato-crust.html to make a quiche with salmon or trout. You could add some grated carrot.

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Great ideas both of you, fantastic stuff.
    Any more still welcome!

9. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Hi, new here and about to post for help myself! One thought - slice potatoes thinly, as though for potato gratin and put in dish. Slash a lamb joint enthusiastically, and roast the two so the lamb is directly on the oven shelf and can drip into the potatoes below. Potatoes end up delicious and full of lamb juice, lamb is crispy and not too rich. I'm guessing would need to be served with carrots.

10. That made me giggle!
    You could do the same with duck, all the lovely fat would drip out and make delicious potatoes, served with carrots of course.
    I am wondering if she is allowed bacon, I can see why chorizo would be out due to the spicing but bacon is cured with salt/smoking and could make things much tastier.

11. One of our favourite meals is seabass - should be ok just fried (grilled?) with a little salt - with cubed, roasted potatoes. We have it with green veg usually, but some carrots would work (poor lady - like she'll want to eat any more!) I'd cook them really slowly in just a dash of water and oil - cover with greaseproof and pop a little on the saucepan to keep liquid in.

Use sliced potatoes instead of pasta to make a lasagne type dish? Fishcakes seem an obvious suggestion, or the same but with chicken and bacon maybe?

Not very helpful I'm afraid... I'll keep thinking...

12. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

No, these are great tips. It is hard - as Si found and indeed is everyone else.
    Thanks loads for the great tips everyone and welcome primarycat.

13. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I'm afraid I don't have too much more to offer - I'm guessing that she isn't allowed fresh herbs either (assuming this comes under something 'that might make food interesting').
    The only real thoughts I have are that she could roast carrots to make into a soup, make a chicken pie wih a carrot mash topping and make potato pancakes (grated potato combined with a couple of eggs and flour).
    If I think of any more ideas, I'll post them up.