1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Place in the Fourth Dimension

Discussion in 'Personal' started by doomzebra, May 6, 2010.

1. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

3rd, this sounds like the kind of school I could really enjoy working in. Could the children also be taught to deal with the disappointment of not having things handed to the on a plate? Or are we only admitting well rounded individuals who have managed to control their 'it's not fair' gene?

2. Well, since this week I failed to get appointed in my final interview of this round, can I work at the Tesseract School? I can offer my usual subject - English - plus treating people with respect and being kind. Is there a vacancy for someone like me?

3. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Straw poll time - a job has come up in the school I used to work in. I started as a parent helper, graduated to qualified/paid TA. It was this head who suggested I should embark on a teaching career.
    Should I apply? Would I even be considered for the post, given my previous history with the school and very close proximity to the actual school (I live 3 streets away)? I'd rather not waste my time filling in an application for them to go 'oh no, too much history...'. Should I phone and enquire and explain that I'd rather they were honest and tell me if I wouldn't be considered (Is that discriminatory?) I don't mind not being considered, I'd rather just know, you know? Or would that be unprofessional by putting them on the spot?
    so many questions...

4. I would ring and explain your thinking, like you have to us, esp. if there are SLT there who know you of old. I hope it goes well.

5. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

Honey go for it!!!!! surely the fact they knwo you is an advantage? and if the head was the one who suggested you train as a teacher he must have seen something in you to believe you would be a good teacher.

Either that or give em a ring and ask, lol

I am embarking on the educational establishment form filling, i never knew it was sooooo time consuming and boring!! I am filling in all sorts of forms online so that it can be on a database or something.
    I am now stuck on the random skills, abilities etc bit. I dont know what they want me to write!!
    You lot could have warned me about this, lol.

6. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

hmmmm....I'll give them a ring on monday. see what they say. thanks

sparkly, I personally believe that the main reason people stay in the same job so long is due to the sheer depressiveness of filling out application forms

7. Carnhot, you can be head of English and niceness

Honey we accept all sorts of kids at my Fantasy School, but we do test <u>parents</u> for aptitude ad committment....!

As for the form-filling - I agree Crystal about it all! Honey - join us in the form-filling-from-hell and see what they say - they'll probably love to have you back.

8. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

carnhot, I'm sorry you didn't get this job and I have no words of comfort to offer, either. It's really tough to get a break regardless of where you are on the career ladder, but the only thing you can do, is apply, apply, apply. Crappy fact of life #1

Would it not be weird going back to work in a school where you were a parent helper? Most of thr original staff are still there and it's the teacher I used to work under whose job is up for grabs. She is retiring. I don't know how other staff will react IF i got the job. AND added to that, the ta who is in that class, is the same one I used to work with in the same class...I might end up being her 'boss'! eeeek! Don't think it would be a good idea, really

9. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

Honey I sort of did that... not quite the same but very similar. I found that people I worked with before have been great..teachers and TA's. I have had nothing but support and encouragement from them!
    The fact that you know the staff and the school, and they know you, can be an advantage... It depends if you feel you would like to work there or not.. I think.it would certainly be worth going and having the 'tour and seeeing how you feel. and what they say!!

I shall cross all anatomical aspects that can be crossed for all those in the process of job hunting...

(there will be some coming up in my place soon...I'm pretty sure...)

TTL..... any jobs for me in the perfect school???... I do lots of laughing...

10. in that case, you are in charge of assemblies, the school newsletter and the website. You may well get the VLE as well - those could usually do with livening up!

11. I spose I should take a few of the dyslexics and other clumsy kids in hand and leave the rest of you to get on with teaching the rest.
    Bear in mind this will cost in the cakes, biscuits and other expressions of gratitude department.

12. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

I love you all, my lovely little tesslings xxx
    You've got a world of experience, support and good natured humour, enough to make the Grinch do an about face
    *happy sighs*
    Now, should I phone, or just apply and take my chances...?

13. OK, so you're SENCO. Please talk to DoomZebra - he is my Assistant Head in Charge of Biscuits about your carbohydrate requirements.

[​IMG] I'm getting the hang of this headship lark, aren't I?

14. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

phone 'em first - make a personal connection

we need some music/dancing

15. 'phone, and ask for a visit because you worked there a while ago but obviously you were in a different capacity. You'll then hopefully get a visit, and possibly a chat, and you'll certainly get a feel for the situation and therefore a better idea of whether or not to apply.

Perhaps I ought to be in charge of CPD at my Fantasy School as well.....

16. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

I'm clearly not cut out for decision making roles...so no SMT or caretaker-y type roles for me

I could be in charge of critical thinking skills. Maybe?

17. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

A long time ago came a man on a track

Walking thirty miles with a sack on his back

And he put down his load where he thought it was the best

Made a home in the wilderness

Built a cabin and a winter store

And he ploughed up the ground by the cold lake shore

The other travelers came walking down the track

And they never went further, no, they never went back

Then came the churches then came the schools

Then came the lawyers then came the rules

Then came the trains and the trucks with their load

And the dirty old track was the telegraph road

Then came the mines and then came the ore

Then there was the hard times then there was a war

Telegraph sang a song about the world outside

Telegraph road got so deep and so wide

Like a rolling river ...

And my radio says tonight it's gonna freeze

People driving home from the factories

Six lanes of traffic

Three lanes moving slow ...

I used to like to go to work but they shut it down

I got a right to go to work but there's no work here to be found

Yes and they say we're gonna have to pay what's owed

We're gonna have to reap from some seed that's been sowed

And the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles

They can always fly away from this rain and this cold

You can hear them singing out their telegraph code

All the way down the telegraph road

I'd sooner forget but I remember those nights

Yeah, life was just a bet on a race between the lights

You had your head on my shoulder you had your hand in my hair

Now you act a little colder like you don't seem to care ...

Well just believe in me baby and I'll take you away

From out of this darkness and into the day

From these rivers of headlights these rivers of rain

From the anger that lives on the streets with these names

'cos I've run every red light on memory lane

I've seen desperation explode into flames

And I don't want to see it again ...

From all of these signs saying 'sorry but we're closed'

All the way down the telegraph road

18. How about a spot of silly dancing? The Macarena anyone? It's been that sort of a day....

19. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Oh yes! And then, The Time Warp!

20. [​IMG]

Like this?