1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A phonics focus in EAL withdrawal classes

Discussion in 'EAL' started by grdwdgrrrl, Feb 14, 2020.

1. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

My line manager is insisting on a phonics focus during our classes. I’m not sure how much focus is needed for the upper key stages or should it be more important to cover pronunciation.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Phonics is to do with the sounds in words... so pronunciation is a part of phonics.

3. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I’ve heard/ read different points of research on this depending on the home language.
    Thanks for your input.

4. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

I think it depends on the main problems you are encountering with your learners.
    If they can't decode written words because they have trouble associating the written phoneme with the sound it makes, then teach phonics. (e.g. if they see the word "sky" but think it's associated with skiing.)
    If they understand the word's meaning, but their poor pronunciation makes it hard to understand them, you should teach pronunciation. (e.g. If they want to say "I like to ski" but it sounds like "I like to sky.")

5. ime20

ime20 New commenter

The Learning Village has a complete learning journey on phonics. The learners get the opportunity to speak, listen and read. There are also resources for small group teaching as well as independent learning.
    https://www.learningvillage.net