1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A parent who now understands

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Geoff Thomas, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Excellent. He sounds remarkably cogent at the end.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Haha! Reminds me of when I once took a deputy head with us on our week-long residential trip to France with 70 thirteen-year-old boys. He had thought he was coming on a jolly. It nearly finished him off.

:)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The hurting feet make sense. Children today aren't used to walking any distance further than that between a building's door and a car.

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

On one of my many residential trips to France over the years, I recall one stand-out instance of a 13 year old boy claiming he could not walk more than a few yards. I thought I'd prove him wrong, but the boy was so obese that the act of walking caused the skin on his inner thighs to rupture and bleed due to the skin on each thigh constantly rubbing together.
    It was a shocking sight.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Unless you’re my grandson who dances in front of you, runs ahead, runs back and generally walks twice as far as he needs.

scott1980, Jamvic, lindenlea and 3 others like this.
  7. Vince_Ulam

He walks around to the far side of the car?

8. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I was asked to accompany 2 young teachers on a trip they had organised for my year 11 year group.... 50+ of them! As they were short of adult the group leader took her husband and I took along husband no 1. Husband no 1.... never ever listened sympathetically to the trails and tribulations of teaching; never empathised about the hypochondriac I worked alongside for a good few years, nor appreciated the modern parenting "skills" of too many of our parents etc etc.
    The week in Barcelona certainly had its 'high points' 20 of the kids bought alcohol on their 1 1/2 free time we had given them after a day of walking around all the Olympic facilities. This saw 2 kids not making dinner at the hotel and my ex and I discovered them in their room - one collapsed having drunk 3/4 litre of Jack Daniels.... the other was stumbling over anything in his pathway. Leaving the rest of the party in the dining room we did a room trawl and discovered umpteen bottles of peach Schnapps , Litre of vodka and many many bottles of beer (kept my ex in drink for the week - the shorts we stored in one of the teacher rooms. Sunday saw 5 kids near enough chained to an adult for the day whilst their friends got free time on the beach!
    After a week of witnessing more street crime than I had ever seen in my life.... an incident where after a lecture to the group from me about how dreadful it was that they were putting the hotel prepared packed lunch in local bins as British kids couldn't under any circumstances eat "foreign meat" baguettes (!) when there were people starving on the city streets.... well that backfired when next day on going to take the subway the kids (mistakenly) identified the woman sitting at the top of the subway steps as a homeless person as they all decided to give their lunch baguettes to her. Very commendable sentiment I thought and a lecture hitting home..... alas she couldn't have been homeless and she took great exception to this charity and started to pelt us all with said baguettes as we fled down the stairs!
    One last evening in the harbour area when 2 of the girls escaped my scrutiny and went out in lacy see through skirts with mini shorts worn underneath (anyone remember that awful fashion in the 90s?) I freaked out when I caught them as they had all had the talk about dressing appropriately and the possible danger of "latin men".... that led to close supervision of said 2 girls and a 3rd who came to me worried by the attention her chest was getting from a stalker who kept following her in the arcade...... he disappeared on facing me! We had to rescue 2 lads from burly doormen at a club and yet another incidence of drinking by the JD lad! The Saturday of the return at last came but the icing on the cake was Iberia chucking 6 of the kids off the flight ! After huge rows at check in they kicked me and 5 kids off and said if the rest of the party didnt get through security and to the gate immediately the whole party would be off and paying for alternative flights home ! Iberia marooned me and the 5 in Paris and without the brilliant help from Air France and then BA we might have had a very sticky time ! ( They put is up in a luxurious airport hotel and the kids were delighted..... tho I spoiled the boys' fun by banning the adult movies!)
    On leaving the hotel we debated what to do about the spirits the kids had bought - the vodka we had been told was a present for a parent.... well... the decision was taken out of our hands as our leader had removed their cases from the room and so the cleaners must have thought it was their lucky day and cleared the lot out- situation resolved ! I remember not too fondly the situation of one girl having had her tongue pierced..... my reaction was fairly priceless... 'Miss - she used a clean needle and wore gloves " - my reaction " what if she had just cleaned out the cat litter tray before seeing to you ?" No repercussions re that thank goodness.....

The ex got a true picture of the responsibility of teaching - what interaction with umpteen 15/16 year olds is like..... and following that school trip (anyone using the word 'holiday' got jumped on by me) he did develop some inkling of the stress of the job...... he didn't listen to me any more but..... he had a rather different attitude.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've got one like that. His mum says he's part dog.

Jamvic and sparkleghirl like this.
  10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Vince was asking for trouble with that!
    MY grandkids (6 and 9) have done "Kids Run Free" from when they were toddlers and now do Park Run and leave grown men puffing and panting with their sprint finishes. I was a chubby book worm at that age and just love it that they are SO fit. Skinny as laths and full of energy.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

My blood ran cold reading these messages. Not just from the POV as a teacher, but remembering the japes I got up to on visits. :oops:

12. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

My youngest goes through phases of insisting she IS Robodog from the Paw Patrol. Also covers triple the distance anyone else does as her difficulties mean she can't walk in a flipping straight line.

I laughed when the original posts appeared on Twitter - apparently totally fake but funny as hell.

I like doing school trips as a parent helper (so much more fun than being the teacher in charge of all the chaos and inevitable one child that pukes on the bus before you've got out of the street) - you get to be reminded that every other child in the class talks as much absolute drivel at times as your own child does and that they are, in fact, (Robodog related incidents excepted) completely normal. Apparently Batman and Spiderman were having a fight in the central reservation of our local motorway last one I went on, but they were invisible really so only the gang of dippy boys sat near the back could see them and announce their presence to the rest of the bus.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What a wonderful read... I know his misery... I feel better for knowing I wasn't alone.

14. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I love this trait of small children and dogs. It’s as if the world is just too intensely exciting to even consider walking in a straight line. So much to see, so much to investigate. Wonderful to watch. Unless you’re trying to get somewhere quickly of course.

lala24 and InkyP like this.
  15. Vince_Ulam

I considered editing in a qualifier but was too lazy.

It's hilarious to see so many people drive to a park once a week so that they can use their legs.

16. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Isn’t that what parks are for? Not everyone lives close to one.

17. Vince_Ulam

Run to the park or as far as is comfortable from home & back. Cheaper, quicker & probably far more healthy in the long term.

18. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Our local one's terrible unless you're going shopping for illegal substances - also on a ridiculously steep hill which I don't really want to be trying to teach kids to ride bikes down and going home via A+E - so yeah, we drive to a one with a much nicer play area, slightly less anti-social behaviour, and a gradient that's likely to mean I can come home without a child in plaster and my grey hair count increased substantially!

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My grand daughter is the same plus she adds in cartwheels and hand stands.

Jamvic likes this.
  20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Just been on holiday in Scandinavia where we went to an open air museum. In one of the demo areas they let school kids try chopping wood with real axes, like their ancestors did. There was one lad about 8 years old stripped to the waist going at this log in a manner that confirmed his Viking genes - the axe describing a perfect arm's length arc above his head with every stroke, and he was perched on top of the log he was chopping. He wasn't the only one doing it either - could you even remotely in your wildest dreams imagine that activity being on offer to an English school party? He'd struggle to chop the risk assessment documentation for sure.

Vince_Ulam likes this.