1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Parent just emailed me ...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jet786, Jun 11, 2011.

1. jet786

jet786 New commenter

I have a little bit of a problem as i just received an email from a parent of a student in my class who wants me too meet a good friend of hers, aka set me up....
    She was polite in the email and all, but I am unsure how to handle this especially in terms of being professional and all that....
    Any advice?[​IMG]

2. pisces77

pisces77 New commenter

How does the parent have your email address? Do you use email to contact parents at your school? Not advice really but you should speak to your head explaining what has happened and have a quiet chat with the parent about it .
    Probably doesn't help but with all the stuff about e - safety you might get into trouble.

3. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

I once had a parent who tried to set me up with her brother, apparently he had picked up little jonny once and i though i was great! i politely refused and said it was not appropriate but thank you for the offer, then made sure i told the head - who found it very amusing to be honest!

in our school, our school e-mail addresses are available to parents. i would let your head know that you are going to reply with a thanks but no thanks then bcc her into the e-mail also.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That is exactly what I'd do as well.

5. I would cc not bcc the HT in the email reply (after telling them) so that the parent sees that you are making it a polite but offical refusal, and that they shouldn't try again.

6. Maybe I'm missing something. What has this got to do with the head? Why does a huge fuss need to be made? Send an email back saying that you appreciate the gesture, but you prefer not to mix work and your personal life. I really don't get why people are advising you to CC the head in on an email which can be easily dealt with by yourself, is not a child protection issue, and has arisen because parents at your school customarily contact teachers via email. CCing people makes it a bigger deal than it needs to be.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Playground gossip has been known to ruin teacher's careers. People rejected in relationships or potential relationships do not always act in a right thinking manner.

I would BCC my head so as to protect myself from any future gossip and accusations. I would use BCC so as not to make the parent think I was offended or thought they were in the wrong to ask. I wouldn't choose to let the parent know I had informed the head.

But hey that is me. There are probably a zillion ways to deal with this, including saying yes please if you so choose!

8. I would also Cc the head into it.
    A parent contacting a teacher? It has everything to do with the head.

9. jet786

jet786 New commenter

Ok the head found it amusing and in a sense it is (I can see it in this one too)..but how were things between you and the parent after that?

10. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

In terms of e-safety, i do give out my work email address to parents (it is easier often than phoning and then they are not there, they ring you back, you are teaching...)
    But it is always my work address which i assume could be checked if necessary. Would never use a hotmail / yahoo etc one. Also, because it is my work one with the name of the school in the address i think it reminds parents that it is for work related matters only.