1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A one off indoor PE lesson...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Feb 25, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have a one off PE lesson to teach on Monday afternoon with about 20 girls. I want to do something nice and girl focussed, that I'd not usually do with a mixed class. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm a bit rubbish at teaching PE but have some excellent girls who can demonstrate for me.

We did gym last 1/2 term and will be doing kid's yoga this coming 1/2 term. I just need something for this one off, girls only, lesson.

Thank you for any ideas!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have a one off PE lesson to teach on Monday afternoon with about 20 girls. I want to do something nice and girl focussed, that I'd not usually do with a mixed class. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm a bit rubbish at teaching PE but have some excellent girls who can demonstrate for me.

We did gym last 1/2 term and will be doing kid's yoga this coming 1/2 term. I just need something for this one off, girls only, lesson.

Thank you for any ideas!

3. What age group? How long is the lesson?
    Could you do something dance based? Give the girls a theme for their dance and work collaboratively to produce a short dance sequence. Am a bit reluctant to suggest a theme as I don't know the age and could be way out with my suggestion!

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

aerobic workout routine ?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Duh! If I had a brain... Year 6! and lovely and well behaved. We have about an hour including changing, so 45mins actual PE.

We did dance through the autumn term.

Aerobics is a possibility...I have a couple of DVDs which I could put on the projector. Rosemary Conley?

6. Does that matter though for a one of lesson? If you gave them a theme (e.g. lines) they could work on the skills they have learnt previously to create a short sequence together in small groups.

7. Make them skip for an hour

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Nopes it doesn't matter, just I'd like to do something special and they might not see dance that way just yet.

9. comenius

comenius New commenter

cheerleading?

10. Wii dance?

11. What about Yoga? I've previously done yoga with groups of children where (after warming up and being shown a few poses) they then have to master one particular position each and then lead the group and show them how to do it. You can also play yoga games. There is a pack of cards from Barefoot Books called Yoga Pretzels that has clear and simple instructions and lots of ideas.

12. I'm really sorry - I've only just read the second half of your message. SO embarassed! Sorry!

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WOW I do like the ideas. Thank you all.

Cheerleading sounds fab...but might be beyond me.

Can I do Wii dance with a whole class? I have a Wii and some dance stuff, but can't imagine how it works with a class.

I am doing yoga with the year group this half term, so don't want to start it on Monday with just the girls. Going to wait until next week so boys and girls are at the same starting point. Thank you for the ideas though...will be useful.

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

:) Don't be! I've just ordered yoga pretzels from Amazon to use later in term!