1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A not very good week

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sillow, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Anyone else going home to drown their sorrows in wine due to a difficult first week back? I feel completely worn down and emotionally fragile right now.
    Please let me know I'm not alone!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I am home already and yes am exhausted, emotionally as well as physically. And no, I definitely haven't been anything like a 'good or outstanding' teacher this week, not sure all the lessons will have even been satisfactory, but they definitely weren't what I'd have liked!

And parents keep asking if I have done this, that or the other as 'last year's teacher did'. 'Errrr no, did you want me to?' 'No not really, just wondered why you hadn't'!

And children say 'We haven't done ......' and I want to say 'that's because dressing up/star of the day/sticker time/choosing/etc were just not on my list of essentials. And the chance of us ever doing them is almost nil, cos you are driving me nuts by asking!'

So nopes you aren't alone and my usual feeling obliged to wait until 6pm before drinking alcohol may or may not happen today.

3. First week back is really tough going! Have spent six weeks chilling and having a lovely time and suddenly there are thirty three people in my face demanding everything right now!
    Bring on the Baileys!
    x

4. Yeah me too - this has been my worst first week back ever after 5 years of teaching!
    New changes in the school mean that we now have to do a full formal lesson plan for every single lesson we teach and submit it to our head of department a week in advance... where the hell I am going to find the time to do that on top of marking for 5 EXAM CLASSES, my 6 key stage 3 classes, internal moderation, community outreach, enrichment/extra curricular activities and the other million and one things we have to do I will never know... I am more stressed out this week in my job than I have EVER been.... of life how I will miss thee! :(

You are DEFINITELY not alone!

5. I'm with you! Have moved year groups and haven't found my feet yet! I can hear the sauv blanc calling from the fridge!

6. Cheers! [​IMG]

7. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Isn't it meant to get easier with every passing year?
    This is my 8th year teaching and the worst start yet. I've been Mr Nice, Mr Angry, Mr Smiley, Mr Grumpy, Mr Quiet, Mr Loud and Mr Funny
    NONE OF THE ABOVE WORKED SO NOW I FEEL LIKE
    *Mr Sad
    *Mr Stressed
    *Mr Schizophrenic
    I feel a new range of Mr Men books coming on. Maybe I can make a living that way?! Mr Schizophrenic could be interesting.
    I too am finding the answer to my problems at school at the bottom of a very large bottle of Californian Shiraz, a moderately lavish Chinese, and maybe a cheeky menthol cigarette!

8. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Absolutely. Factor in an argument with OH who now is not responding to my calls / texts... and I feel like utter s****

9. F***ing horrendous.
    I have never felt so awful in my teaching career and it has only been a week.

10. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Oh, I'm so glad there are others! Not that I'm happy that all of you apparently have had as **** a week as me, but misery loves company!

I came home to find other half making pizza and I have a bottle of pink stuff cooling as we speak... One week down, and I don't even want to think about the other half of that statement.

Mr. Schizophrenic, that sounds like the kind of book I'd like to read. I think there is a market there!

Hope you all enjoy your weekends! I have a tonne of marking, so I probably won't.

11. invincible

invincible New commenter

Even though I have taken on extra responsibilty as lang and lit coord and have ordering, managing a huge budget, sorting out resource rooms and all the stuff that goes with that job, and a new team-teaching partner and the school going through some major changes, I have to say that after 12 years in the biz, I'm probably the most relaxed stressed-out I've ever been. Yep, wine helps.

12. Mine's been pretty tough. Third year teaching and this is the toughest class I've had so far. They have a bit of a reputation, and they've worn me down a bit. Never been so glad to hear the Friday bell! Hate the beginning of term - basically because I find it hard to be a total b*tch (firm and fair) and want to be liked...I know, I know....

13. zannar

zannar New commenter

My week with the children has been great. My TA on the other hand has made me turn to the bottle already this evening. [​IMG]

14. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Never mind the whisky, I didn't even drink any wine because I had a headache and "couldn't be bothered". [​IMG]
    I had nightmares all night and woke up wishing I'd trained to do some other job. Why did I even consider teaching?! I should be working 9-5 in an office, sitting on my bum all day, drinking coffee and having the company pay for long lunches.
    Will stick at it, though, only because I've just bought a flat and don't want it to get repossessed. I don't want to work in Morrisons, either.

15. I feel the same, and yes wine has been consumed!
    Have supposedly the dream class in the school and they are just not. They are not respnding to me and I am really struggling to warm to them. Just makes it ten times worse that everyone says they are lovely when they are getting no work done and generally fuss the whole time!
    Arghhh!

16. Yep, me too. I've had a headache everyday this week. This class are really hard work. Child who drove me nuts last year as a year 5 is even worse this year as a year 6 - the little B*gger has been 'lording it up' all week as if he's now in charge of the whole school! Grrrr! Also just got rid of the worst behaved girl I have ever taught after two very long years, only to inherit her equally naughty and annoying little brother! Ho hum!
    To make matters worse, I have to suffer the little g1ts all next week 24/7 on our residential. Bring on the wine!

17. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I am not even thinking about our residential. Fortunately, it's not until next year, so by then I will either be a) able to control them or b) not working as a teacher any more.
    I still have a headache, been just over 24 hours now. Monday is going to be very hard!

18. As I've managed to hurt my knee and am consequently signed off already, I'm not havying a good start of term either.

19. Thank you so much for writing this post! I have changed schools and have felt upset all week because I know my lessons haven't been 'good' as I have a very pickly class with 1 autistic child, 1 child on a 1:1 for behaviour, 1 child with an intellectual level of about a 2 yr old and several immature year 1's that cry. I love teaching (6yrs) and I like the children in my class but when I covered one of the other year 1 classes this week they were so much better behaved which made me feel awlful. So I too have sought solace in wine .....

20. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I also love teaching (15 years!) and like my class. However, (despite me being told I have the nicest of the two year 2 classes and am soooo lucky, etc, etc) I looked in on the other year 2 class and saw a much more settled and better behaved class. Made me feel utterly useless as well.

But this is only September, and I've only had them for a day and a half, I know it will get better. It always does!