1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Norman Themed Classroom...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SammyX, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any great ideas to help me turn my classroom into a Norman themed room? I'm going to be teaching Year 5 the Normans from September for the first half term.
    At the moment, I'm going with the ideas from the previous Year 5 teacher, corrugated card on the door and covering columns in my room. I'm going to make some shields with the school emblem on them - but do you have any further ideas please?
    We're making our own version of the Bayeaux Tapestry in Week 3, so that will be added then.

Ta x

2. Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any great ideas to help me turn my classroom into a Norman themed room? I'm going to be teaching Year 5 the Normans from September for the first half term.
    At the moment, I'm going with the ideas from the previous Year 5 teacher, corrugated card on the door and covering columns in my room. I'm going to make some shields with the school emblem on them - but do you have any further ideas please?
    We're making our own version of the Bayeaux Tapestry in Week 3, so that will be added then.

Ta x

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you have year 5, can they not make the columns and cards for the door and the like in the first week back? They could certainly make shields, maybe group ones?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You'll need to make the door with a 'Norman' arch (rounded).Could put some over your windows too!
    They could make overlapping parts to make a class suit of armour (like on Bayeux tapestry) and some helmets.

5. Thank you for your great ideas. We work on learning challenges each week, so the children will have key questions to answer and work based around it bringing in various curriculum areas. One week the children will be making their own shields and class 'tapestry' etc but I wanted something to get my classroom going before they arrive back at school to give it a wow factor (we're in a dodgy, old concrete hut!!)

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated x

6. A castle?

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Probably not a 'wow' factor for us but to the children . . . ? Cover a noticeboard with a hessian backing (old sack?), another one with chip paper (for wattle & daub) with some woodne frame dividers to simulate walls & then with your tapestry when it's finished you'll have your Norman interior.
    What about a display of Runes? Key question- What type of writing did the Saxons/Normans have? links to English and Maths. Then what type of writing materials did they have? Somewhere I remember some programme about how up-north they had a paper-making business using sheep faeces-might be worth a bit of research.
    Could you have some question about how to make metal -linked to Materials and strength of armour/ chain mail? Which is stronger / more flexible etc. leather or chain mail?

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you laminate the paper or cardboard, you could make the outside look like a castle?

9. Set up a display of food items the Normans would have had. Like a kind of kitchen area perhaps.
    www.chiddingstone.kent.sch.uk/homework/bt/who.htm
    The above site gives a list of food items for that period. Make one of the tables look like an old wooden plank table with plank effect cardboard covering its top.
    All the ideas sound great and think the chn will definitely be enjoying this topic with you.