1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A nice problem

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by RaleighBurner, Feb 8, 2019.

1. RaleighBurner

RaleighBurner New commenter

just seeking some advice on my next move. I applied for 2 positions and got both!

1 is at a girls independent school, well paid, nice school as subject lead. This is the same as I’m doing now but closer to home.

2 is at an Academy, slightly more money but I would be incharge of a larger faculty (12 staff). In this position there would be less teaching and more coordination of curriculum.

I’ve worked at an Academy before, so I know what they are like and also currently at an independent school for boys.

Question is do I go for easier teaching at another independent school or better career development at the academy? As title says, A nice problem.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Depends on other life factors.

Is more money a crucial point at this stage?
    Is being nearer home a priority?
    Are you keen for career development?
    Are you wanting a happy and simple life?

I know what I would choose now, but it isn't the same as what I would have chosen at other points in my life. Priorities change as life moves on, you have to decide what is the right decision at the moment.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

As above, and I'd also consider what feelings I got from being in and around the school. Gut feelings are worth listening to, even if you don't act on them.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If I were you? And I'm definitely just me.....

First one.

12 staff? Ugh. 12 possible moody s0ds. 12 opportunities for colleagues to go off sick. 12 opportunities for people to argue with their lesson observations. That's a no from me. Managing teaching staff? Herding cats is far easier.

Well paid? Less travel? Plus I detest academies. I loathe the whole concept of academies.

5. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

Personally, I'd go option 1. I am currently in a place in my head where I need a slightly easier life. It would depend how much extra money too. If I could live nicely on job number 1's salary....no brainer for me.

6. laurelandhardylive

laurelandhardylive New commenter

Ind
    Independent. Avoid MAT if possible. They will only get worse

MissGeorgi and mothergoose2013 like this.
  7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I would be wary of assuming all academies are the same, or all independents.

I agree that it's impossible for us to say. It might depend on your "age and stage", too. Have you got loads of time left to rise to the top? Would you be looking to stay in this post a long time or a relatively short time? Might being in the independent sector for too long make state schools less likely to consider you in the future? How often are next-stage posts likely to come along?

8. afterdark

afterdark Senior commenter

One presumes that one did one's own homework before submitting one's application.
    Is there any further digging that one can do?

Has one done one's homework on the HT, academy big cheese.

Now I can my tongue out of my mouth.
    Personally, I have met a lot of wonderful people teaching at private schools. Both staff and students.

Never has a private school student tried to spit on me. Can't say the same for some state schools that have now turned into academies.

9. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 Occasional commenter

Option one if it was me with where I am at now, my younger self may well have disagreed! As said previously go with your gut, and congratulations on such a beautiful dilemma!
    Good luck!

10. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

No brainier. Why would you join an organisation designed to undermine the pay and conditions of teachers, when you have other options.

11. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Oops brainer.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Either of the schools could well fit this category.
    Some independents have terrible pay and conditions.

A good point though OP, you MUST read any contract carefully before signing.

mothergoose2013 likes this.
  13. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Congratulations on being offered two jobs.:) My understanding is if you are offered a job, you should do your best to answer ASAP. If you have to employers awaiting your response, do not be surprised that when you call in to accept, the offer it is gone.

Please respond quickly and I hope you make the right decision for you.

JohnJCazorla and mothergoose2013 like this.
  14. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

1 if you want an easy life. 2 if you want a challenge. Good luck, great to have a choice!

mothergoose2013 likes this.
  15. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

How old are you?
    What, if any, are your ambitions?

16. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

It's not always an easy life in an Indy! Different expectations and pressures. Have worked in two of them.

Is the private one in a good position financially? If not,...

But, if it's a well-regarded, thriving school, I'd go for the Independent.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. Sinnamon

Sinnamon Established commenter

I'd choose the Indy I think, but it would depend on the gut feeling I got from both schools. How did the staff seem? Is there anyone you can speak to off the record to get the low down on either/both schools?

Congrats on the two job offers, they both sound v promising.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Independent nearer home.

19. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I'd definitely go for the first one, but my priority has always been to enjoy teaching and I've never been ambitious in terms of career development. Being closer to home is an added bonus.

20. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

The commute would be a big factor for me too. I currently work in a lovely, lovely school (short term supply), but it takes almost an hour to get here. I know an hour isn't too bad, but it is only 13 miles away!
    I find being stuck in traffic so frustrating and it makes me feel stressed and anxious! So I would definitely factor in the commute.