1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A nice little touch?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by the hippo, Apr 24, 2019.

1. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

First year in Korea -- huge Dove gift pack for my husband and I each for Chuseok. Lovely gesture.

8th year in UK school, an afternoon tea with sandwiches, scones and cakes.

Took longer to get a nice gesture in UK!

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I suppose every one of my schools has also had staff social events which have often been quite nice. Good food, good activities or entertainment. Something I would have done on my choice, except the school was nice enough to organize and pay for it. Every single one of my schools, at least once, usually twice or more a year.
    But I do resist a little calling them nice gestures, because of the mandatory nature. Being required to be social is a tough ask.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

For every 5 years of service ( for all staff: teaching, kitchen, cleaners, etc. etc. ) we get a gift of 500 CHF. So, for 10 years, it is 1000 and so on. This is presented at the end of the academic year at a staff dinner.

After 10 years of service, all faculty are given a share in the school (worth about 4k or something). This means that we are invited to attend shareholder meetings where we can ask any question we like, which has to be responded to. Some of the shareholder meetings can get pretty rowdy!

In addition, there are many events during the school year for teachers to go out together for dinners (at least two a term). These are all paid for by the school.

Each department is also given a stipend (about 80 chf per head) to have an annual dinner. Partners are also invited and their expenses covered by the school.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Ahh. I forgot that one. For over a decade one school in Qatar gave out a month’s salary as a bonus for five years of service. Two months for ten. Three months for... you get the idea. That was nice. I was lucky enough to get five and ten.
    I’m not there any longer. But a few months ago they changed it without warning. Now it’s a set amount closer to 1,000 GBP for five years. 2,000 for ten, etc. Sucks if you were close to getting your next one. I have friends on the verge of 15 and 20.
    They still give the end of service bonus at twice the required rate. Wonder how long that will last.

5. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I seem to remember I got an extra month’s salary after 15 years. That was Spanish law. I think they might have changed it since...

6. BondStreetBabe

BondStreetBabe New commenter

One of my fondest memories was when the Headmaster of my Prep School turned up at my house on Christmas Eve with a bottle of gin! In another school there was always 'a bottle' in everyone's pigeon-hole. Not quite so personal perhaps but much appreciated all the same!